Building project gone wrong

M

Mr Spax

I have just completed the construction of my house using an Insulated Concrete Formwork system. We went for the best we could afford in terms of house build and I inspected several projects using this system before we went ahead and they all seemed to work fine. We used a contractor who was recommended, to do the installation on the walls and he made a complete mess of the job and has gone from the site never to be seen again - the problem is the walls are completely uneven (out inches in some places). I had a plasterer around the other day and he said it was the worst job he had ever seen. As ICF houses are normally plastered using an acrylic render with a tolerance level of only 10mm I dont have the option of plastering out the discrepancies. I wondered if anyone has come across a similar problem before and if yes, what did you do to sort it out? I need a fast and cost effective solution to this problem.

Sorry to hear that, what ICF system did you use? I think the best option now may be to fix expanding metal to the exterior and plaster onto that.

Misaligned\bulging walls is the biggest issue with ICF I'm lead to believe.

[broken link removed] are recommended by several ICF builders as the company to use for the acrylic render. They may have a solution.

You could also I suppose just batten across the icf on the outside and apply something like cement fibre board. www.greenspan.ie have a product suitable for this. It ain't cheap by anyones measure though.

Again, sorry to hear about your misfortune.

Out of interest would you PM me the name of the ICF product, not the builder!