building - price per square foot

• Thread starter friendofafriend
  • Start date
F

friendofafriend

Just wondering if anyone knows the latest "word on the street" of that traditional building industry measure, the average price per square foot? (for a new house in a country location).

Oh, and how do builders calculate area for a dormer (1.5 times ground floor footprint? Twice the ground floor? etc.) Thanks!

Price per square foot

We have a construction company ... I reckon you need to budget at least 120 euro per square foot ... I know that sounds like a lot but by the time it's finished that's a realistic figure. As regards dormers, as far as I remember it's 1.5 times the ground floor ... or maybe slightly less ... good luck with your build!

Came across this post using the search function - this is something that is causing a lot of confusion at for us at the moment.
We have a number of builders quoting to build our new dormer bungalow. None have come up with prices yet, but they all seem to have different estimations on the size. Their estimates range from 2600 to 3300 sq foot for the same house. Our architect would agree with the lower number - some builders are taking the ground floor area and doubling it to get the higher numbers. Are there any builders out there that can advise how you would normally calculate the floor area of a dormer for the purposes of a rought price per square foot calculation? The 1.5 times the floor area mentioned above sounds better to me than some of the other numbers I am seeing!

1.5 or 2.0 times the ground floor plan might be relevant for putting together the ea's brochure if you are selling, but what has it got to do with the cost of construction.
a proper builder would use the plans and possibly a QS to work out how much work was involved and what to charge. if they are confidently saying "x" per sq. ft times the sq. footage, then they obviously plan on ripping you off.

I'm interested in this as a reference point for myself. Is somebody comes back with a quote that equates to €150 per sq foot, I'll give him a wide berth. Likewise, somebody that comes back with €65 per sq ft. Like you say, I would like to think that the quote will be based on hard numbers but some have shown significant interest in the sq ft of the house.

Back