Building new extension to 60's house

Muffinb

Has anyone got any idease as to insulating the walls and floors of a new extension that will ruin the whole back of the house 24.5ft and 14 ft out. Want big ceiling to floor windows, lots of sky lights in the roof etc. How can I make it energy efficient with insulation etc.
Planning on wooden floors.

What is the normal and what can I improve on??

Thanks for any help in advance, have to sort out the specs soon and want to be as clued in before I start.

Muffinb,

I am in the process of having something similar built on to a 1950's house.

Having large glass doors (mine run all the way from the ground to the ceiling) is obviously going to have a negative impact on insulation. Our policy has been to try and make up for what we lose there elsewhere.

We are doing this primarily by dry lining all the walls in the existing house and putting in good insulation under floor, to stop our the heat from our underfloor heating being lost in to the concrete slab of the house.

Obviously you can also look at the energy efficency of the doors you are buying - have you selected them yet?

Cheers

Hiya,
Wow dry lining the walls would be out of the question as we have spent last 2 years doing up the inside!!!
Have chosen the Vufold doors from BGhome.ie as they are lovely american oak 8ft wide each and we want 2 of them. The are Low E value is all I know but not sure if they are any different to any other standard double glazed doors.
What is the standard insulation for walls and under floors and in the ceilings or where would I find this stuf out??

You sound like your going about t the right way starting off!!
Good luck with it all, hard going isn't it??

Cheers!

MuffinB,

I bought a wreck so dry lining the walls was not a big thing as everything had to be ripped out more or less.

I am afraid I am not too well up on the technical aspects of insulation, but I would suggest you have a look at:

[broken link removed]

(I just printed it out to read myself).

There is a lot to consider when building/renovating/extending a place alright. I guess it's all a learning experience mind!

Good luck!

you could try this if you want, I haven't used it so can't
recommend it one way or the other but if you don't want
to touch the inside you may consider it.

[broken link removed]

Back