Building first & then extending

LFC Murphy

I am looking to build a 200m2 two story house on a 0.203h site.. My plan is to extend with a utility at the back and a second story on top of it to extend out the master bedroom with large ensuite. As long as I keep within the 40m2 rule, should I be ok???

Thanks

The 40m only applies to ground level extentions. If you build a second story you will need planning permission regardless of size.

Ruam

When are you planning to make this extension? as you build or a while afterwards?

The 40m only applies to ground level extentions. If you build a second story you will need planning permission regardless of size.

Ruam

Am I right in thinking the building can be as high as you like as long as it's not taller than the original house and.....as long as the floor area is only 40m sq?

Am I right in thinking the building can be as high as you like as long as it's not taller than the original house and.....as long as the floor area is only 40m sq?
Yes/no depending on what you mean by "taller than the original house":

Height of Extension
1. Where the rear wall of the house does not include a gable, the height of the walls of any such extension shall not exceed the height of the rear wall of the house.
2. Where the rear wall of the house includes a gable, the height of the walls of any such extension shall not exceed the height of the side walls of the house.
3. The height of the highest part of the roof of any extension shall not exceed, in the case of a flat roofed extension, the height of the eaves or parapet, as may be appropriate, or, in any other case, shall not exceed the height of the highest part of the roof of the dwelling.

Thanks for that Superman. So is it possible to put an extension of 30sq.mts. with a mezzanine of 10?

What I am planning is to build up a utility and a second floor. The walls of such would meet the top of the back wall (which will be the same height as the gable) however the roof will join the main house roof mid way.

So to recap:
1. The walls will be the same height
2. The roof will join the main roof mid way

Had a drawing done but can't put it up. Still new to all this

Thanks for that Superman. So is it possible to put an extension of 30sq.mts. with a mezzanine of 10?

You can have up to 12 sq.m. of the 40 sq.m. at 1st floor level, so 10 sq.m. of a mezzanine and 30 sq.m. is fine. This is subject to the other criteria though (e.g. a garden with at least 25 sq.m. must remain etc.).

LFC Murphy:
I'm having a little trouble envisioning what you are saying - but I think you should be ok. Try this link for additional information:
[broken link removed]

I have a drawing in word in my documents if someone can tell me how to post it up. Have been trying now for a while but just cant figure it out. It says add URL, but when I try to put the location, nothing happens