Building first home

J

jed

I have a site and am in the process of drawing up plans for a two storey house. I am unsure about which method of construction is best i.e Timber frame or concrete. My big concern with the timber frame is noise. Any advise welcome

If you check on the search option for self builds it has many discussions on this topic. Options for building include :-
Timber frame:- quick construction, very warm but can be noisey
Trad Masonary build:- proven to last test of time, insulation key to this build, this build very slow abd blockies can be a nightmare
ICF Build:- new on the seen proven in Canada & Germany, its a quick build but also has its disadvantages as with everything else.

If you decide to go with timber frame there are a number of measures you can take to reduc noise. Cygnum do a silent home package which gives 15mm of soundbloc board to internal walls.

If you do a TF to reduce noise we did the following:

Every internal wall put in min rockwool, my sisters house (built on estate has none! )
Ceiling space, put in either rockwool or fibreglass, for both heat retention and noise reduction.
Main rooms ie sitting room, dining room, kitchn - sheet with ply to again reduce noise.
If you can may pour a light screed, upstairs we put in UFH. Under it we had the 25mm of insulation which was between 50mm batten. The UFH was attached to this, then the screed poured to the top of the battens.

With all of the above we have no issues with noise, yes it is not 100% but it is much better than most "production line" TF houses.