Building Extensions - SSIA, tradesman and waiting

A

alexgrey

Hey,

We have a semi-d 3 bed with room to extend knocking and building above the garage attached. We want to build a two storey extention where it would appear that we would have added another 50% of the house to the side of it. (Our door would now be in the centre of the house.) I`m not looking for anything too fancy just functional to add extra beds and a room downstairs

So..

1)Should we wait 18 months until the SSIA cash has been spent on builders and tradesman elsewhere

2)How much does it usually cost - 50K, 100K or more?

3)Wheres the safest place to get a builder - I`ve heard the horror stories

4)Additional beds upstairs surely would regain most of the extension value as opposed to a big conservatory

Any help would be great.

Re: Building Extentions - SSIA, tradesman and waiting

If I were you I would start now, with the process of getting plans made up,
and getting planning permission. This will take a while.
Then get quotes from builders, and give yourself some time to get over the shock of how much the quotes are.
Then ask the builders when they are free to start it.
The cost will be 100K and the only way to get a builder is a personal recommendation

cool thanks a lot!

Hi huskerdu....is this €100k based on experience or you know the building
trade ? People are normally quoted per sq foot or meter do you know the
going rates for this ?

Not doubting just curious ?

Tks

Actually that might be important. Its prob be another 400Sq Feet added if that matters.

Actually does anybody know if having it designed so that it is essentially separated from the rest of the house with a separate door, kitchenette etc rather than a simple extention would be better for the property value afterwards. A separate rentable element would obviously be good but would it affect a person looking for a home.

The official first estimate according to the RIAI is approx

Sorry, but every time I put in a EUR sign, the rest of my messagre disappears.
The RIAI give an average cost for an extension of 2500 per m2.

400sq ft is 36m2 which is 90K using this rule of thumb.
The anecdotal evidence in my neck of the woods, is that 100K should be your budget, especially if you want good quality floors and kitchen fittings.

We have spent closer to 200K on a similar extension and thats not with top of the line finish - sorry! I'd say start asap - it takes ages to get plans done, find builder and get it scheduled plus you never know what unexpected delays may occur.

hi,

I would definately advise starting the process now too. We began a similar process last May for a 3 bed semi Dublin area, it took the architect a while to do up the drwgs, he was quite efficient, we got the planning application into Fingal in early Sept and got our planning permission end Nov. Then we had to tender for builders. Their quotes are now back and they are all really high (we think!). Our build is 400 sq ft to the back of the house and the tenders are between 110k and 180k, not including kitchen supply and fit etc. May be it is cheaper down the country. VAt at 13.5% is also quite substantial and not inc above.

Looking at these prices I think the world must be gone mad !!!

I'm currently looking at building a 420 sq foot extension to the back of our house (ground floor only) - planning exempt and the prices wer'e looking at are less than €15,000.

I'm doing it direct labour and have all my prices back except for the foundations/subfloor - but the 15k allows about 4k for this - i'm expecting this to cost ~2.5k.

I have a carpenter in the family so that's one cost I don't incur but all the rest is tradesmen prices.

We had been initially quoted ~€150 per sq foot which would have put our build at €63k - couldn't stomach even the thoughts of that !

I would say look at other options especially for the types of money involved !

Nai - are you in Dublin cos if not then that might explain why your prices are so low. If you are in Dublin are you sure the tradesmen you have are fully registered and VAT compliant and will do a good job, cos their prices must be rock rock bottom.

I need to source a couple of tradesmen myself for some parts of an extension and would be very interested to see what quotes you have for the following, thanks:

blockwork
roofing - carpentry
roofing - tiling
plastering - internal and external
electrics
plumbing

am based in dublin - swords to be exact - all my tradesmen are registered and compliant (i'm not doing this under the radar) however I am using contacts to source the tradesmen - and as I said I have a carpenter in the family so there's no charge for any of the roofing elements.

Electrics and plumbing are basic (lights/sockets) and two rads. ~ €800 each

Blockwork is €2000 (3 days work) (~1000 blocks)
Plastering is €2500

hth

That is actually quite a high price for blockwork.
I am in Cork and we paid a euro a block.
Of course Dublin is always more expensive.
We built a 3250 sq ft house for a lot less than some of you are paying for an extension.
The price you pay for living in the capital city I suppose.
But then again I suppose your house will be worth three times the value of mine when finished.
I have found it is the fitting out which is the most expensive and whatever you allow for that double it at least.

Back