Building credit history

S

stevie_b

I have never had a loan, or ever owed any money. Any cars etc i have had i have always paid for up front. However now i want to borrow 4-5k for a car and to also establish some sort of credit history other than my credit card.

I shouldn't have too much trouble getting the loan as my account balance has always been pretty healthy. I would like the loan to be as short a term as possible.

What is the cheapest way of doing this? Where is the best place to go? (i currently bank with BOI).

Thanks!

edit: sorry if this should be in personal debt forum! if a mod could move...

If you have had a credit card for a while then you will have some sort of credit history which hopefully showes you paying it off regulary and not missing payments. It is difficult to get loans at the moment so you need to shop around.

I was thinking about changing my car recently and although I have a good credit history with BOI - mortgage paid 10 years, credit card paid every month and only 1 payment left on personal loan plus salary of 90k, they were pushing me very much towards hire purchase. Apparently personal loans are very difficult to get.

Back