building an extention question

P

Puppyduck

hi we're in the process of buying a small 2-bed house that needs work, it has a little shower room built off the back which needs to be rebuilt, and kitchen of the house is practically non-existent, so we would be looking at extending out the back of the house to make a small but decent kitchen and bathroom

my question is, is it cheaper to source everything yourself (ie builder, electrician, plumber, materials etc) or better to get one of those companies that do it all in one....

after remortgaging we'd have only about 25k to do this, do you think this is unrealistic??????

Thanks for any advice.

Not at all..depending on the size and the finish. Leave about 4500 for a decent kitcken and 21k should get you about 20 sq meters or so. Get a few quotes from people recommended by friends and neighbours. Something that others possibly wouldn't recommend but I would is tell the builder how much max you are willing to spend and see what ideas they can come up with within the budget. Obviously I'd be saying I had 20k max (Inc Kitchen) and see what response you get.

Our neighbours got a detatched garage (red brick front, dashed sides), an apex roof, window, door and electric front roller door for Eu22k. This included flooring and ceiling in the 4' attic space, half a dozen double sockets, plumbing for sink and machines. All the walls are insulated and skimmed. As it's in a prestigious estate the standard of workmanship is excellent. I imagine with one wall less to build that the coast would be less.