Building a shed using a dividing wall

M

madmadra1

I am going to build a brick shed in my back garden, am i permitted to use a dividing brick wall as the back wall of the shed. Am i breaking any planning laws. i have been told by a friend that if i do this and go to sell the house that i would need to go to the council to get a clearence cert for using dividing wall?

you're shed can't go over 25m2 area wise, I wouldn't build off
the dividing wall as it's only half yours. Your neighbour may
have a change of heart and ask you to take it down.

to be exact you must comply with the following

Thanks kiwijbob, your response was much appreciated.... I may build a separate back wall for shed...and get rid of the horses!

But arent you legally allowed to build on your half of the party wall anyway?

I have a large shed and it's side wall is on the party wall. I bought it this way and I don't see how anybody could tell me to take it down as it's built on my property. By the way in relation to habitation plenty of houses in the estate have converted their sheds into chalets and let them out. I've thought of doing it myself.

Yes, that is what i was thinking, you are only building on your side of the wall....

if you're building on your side of the wall then there's no problem, it
can be pretty difficult though to build on half of a 4" wall !!. It's a
better job to build on your own side (with no overhanging of your
neighbours property) this can avoid agruements with petty neighbours.
As far a using the shed for acommodation, you can do this WITH
PLANNING PERMISSION
the law clearly says as I posted before

The structure shall not be used for human habitation
if you build a shed without PP and use it for human habitation you are breaking
the law.

What is a shomeras?

I'm sure all my neighbours have planning permission for their chalets/flats and would never dream of breaking the law. I even met a member of the police force who had built on practically every spare inch of his property and all without planning. He was giving me a quotation to do a conversion for me and proudly showed me his workmanship - which was excellent by the way.

does this also apply to shomeras ?

yes it does 100%

I was involved in a case before where a Garda built an extension
with PP and he was brought to court over it by his neighbour for building
on the dividing wall, the neighbour insisted that he wanted the extension
off his property and i can tell you it turned into a very expensive
mess indeed .....be warned !!!!

I'm sure all my neighbours have planning permission for their chalets/flats and would never dream of breaking the law
I'm sure they would never dream of breaking the law, it's just usually a
case of not knowing the law. don't they say that ignorance isn't a
defence though? (assuming they don't have PP)

I even met a member of the police force who had built on
practically every spare inch of his property and all without planning.
He was giving me a quotation...
A garda/builder...nuff said....as you can see from the above a garda
wouldn't be versed in planning law, no more than most people anyway.

who had built on practically every spare inch of his property and all without planning
does this make it right? if you're extending your dwelling into your
garden without PP there are a few restrictions and one of them is
that you must leave at least 25m2 of garden,just wait until he tries to sell.
believe me I've seen the tears when a legal/planning problem rears it's
ugly head close to the sale.....

be warned and proceed with caution

Hi, getting back to your original question ....am i permitted to use a dividing brick wall as the back wall of the shed ...

You should not build on the dividing wall for many obvious reasons, the main one being that the dividing wall was probably not designed to support shed roofs or walls or any other structure. Some people have suggested its ok to build on your half of the wall, this would be a really foolish thing to do, for example;
if you build on your half of the 4" wall & then your neighbour builds on his half of the 4"wall you may have a situation where your wall which probably sits on a small footing now has to support 2 structures that it was never designed to do & when it collapses there will be a row about which shed caused the wall to collapse.
If a builder suggests its ok to do this run a mile unless he can confirm via a structural engineer that its structuraly ok to do this,
Before you start your jobs have a look as surely it cant be much more expensive to do the job properly !
Also have a read of the party wall act which applies in the uk for your info, you'll find it on google.

the previous owner of my house built a shed in the back using two party walls. since he couldn't provide proff of agreement from the neighbours to do so, my solicitor made him knock it down on pain of "no sale". Beware switched-on solicitors.

Just on the case of dividing walls check your plans - in our estate everyowner owns all of the wall on the right of their property and none of the wall on the left. this estate was built in the early 70's.

Would you not have to have a situation of water running off the roof of your new shed onto your neighbours property or need to put a drain pipe up on their side?

Just thinking of the practical considerations. If they didn't have a prob then fine but if they sold down the line could there be issues?

What about an extension to be built of the rear of your own home, is there restriction on this, do you need planning?

you can put the pitch of the roof so it goes into your garden and not your neighbours

By the way in relation to habitation plenty of houses in the estate have converted their sheds into chalets and let them out. I've thought of doing it myself.
In the case of 'chalet's/shed conversions, assuming that no planning was applied for, is there a case where after so many years of use as a living space, the owner can apply for retention and expect to get it given that a certain length of time has elapsed?