Building A Shed, Planning Issues?

Valhalla

Will be building a shed at the end of my garden. The width of the shed will around 25ft and the depth will be around 15ft. Inside will be for a mix of uses, workshop and maybe home gym and will be putting a standard flat roof.

Does anyone know if there would be planning issues with this? Is there a hight restriciton for sheds etc..?

Hi Valhalla, a quick phonecall to your Local Authority will sort this for you. You can build a certain amount to the rear of a house and it cannot exceed the height of your roof, but ring the planning office and they'll be able to tell you the dimensions you're allowed.

IThanks,

have seen information garage conversions and home extensions suggesting that they cannont exceed 40sqm. However I cannont find anything that specifically deals with sheds.

What about ?
Generally, you will not need planning permission for:
  • Building an extension to the rear of the house which does not increase the original floor area of the house by more than 40 square metres and is not higher than the house. The extension should not reduce the open space at the back of the house to less than 25 square metres which must be reserved exclusively for the use of the occupants of your house. If your house has been extended before, the floor area of the extension you are now proposing and the floor area of any previous extension (including those for which you previously got planning permission) must not exceed 40 square metres. (There are also other height restrictions.)
  • Converting a garage attached to the rear or side of the house to domestic use so long as it has a floor area of less than 40 square metres. Building a garage at the back or side of a house so long as it does not extend out in front of the building line of the house and does not exceed 4 metres in height (if it has a tiled/slated pitched roof) or 3 metres (if it has any other roof type). This building will be exempt from planning permission once the floor area is limited to 25 square metres. Garages or sheds to the side of the house must match the finish of the house and may not be lived in, used for commercial purposes or for keeping pigs, poultry, pigeons, ponies or horses.

Just to add on to clubman's reply - the following is from the planning faq's on Clare Co. Councils web site (just the first one I found when researching for myself)

[broken link removed]

Based on your measurements you will have to get planning permission. 375 sq ft = 34.83 sq metre

Can I build a garage?
You can build a garage, carport, shed, greenhouse, kennel for domestic pets etc., as long as it does not extend out in front of the building line of the house and does not exceed 4 metres in height, (if it has a tiled or slated pitched roof), or 3 metres (if it has any other roof type). The floor area limitation for exempted development is 25 square metres. The structure may not be lived in, used for commercial purposes or for keeping pigs, poultry, pigeons, ponies or horses. Garages, sheds etc. to the side of the house must match the finish of the house. You cannot reduce the open private space, reserved exclusively for the use of the occupants of the house, at the side or rear of the house below 25 square metres.

Contact your local co co planning and ask them to send you their guide to exempt development and you will get a brochure detailing all the guidelines in relatively plain english - my feeling is your plans are a bit "large" to be exempt from planning - however getting permission is not likely to be a major issue.......as long as its not gonna upset your neighbours

Back