Building a garage

hjrdee

Just about to start building our house and am wondering if anyone knows how much it costs roughly to build a garage. Just want to get an idea of the price range in terms of our budget. Just a standard 1 car garage.

Thanks

The quote I have for building my garage is 26k. Standard 32 ft with roller door, side door ,2 windows and pitched roof.

26K? more expensive than I thought. I had hoped it would be around 15K at most. Are you based in Dublin or somewhere equally as expensive?

I'm in the west so hoping for less than that, or my car will be getting slightly cold in the winter!

A big consideration costwise is whether you are going to go for cavity wall construction, insulated or cheap and cheerful 215mm hollow concrete blockwork construction. The difference being that cavity wall construction gives you the option of converting the garage to a comfortable home office etc at a future date.

Can you just dry line a cavity block type garage if you decide to use it later as an office or whatever?

You can, using a a thermal laminate board, but I'd plump for traditional cavity wall construction if I was more than 50% sure that I would be converting the garage in the near future. Hollow blockwork is fine, as far as it goes, but it is a cheaper form of construction, one which is finding it harder and harder to comply with improved building regulations. Also if you are going to be putting up a lot of shelves etc in a garage I'd prefer to be using fixings in a 100mm solid concrete block as opposed to the relatively thin hollow block.

Big difference between building costs around the country. This will give you some idea
[broken link removed]

hjrdee.. that price is for a garage build in longford...cavity wall, pitched roof...and plastered externally...builder is doing House (2260sq ft)+ garage

npgallag said:
hjrdee.. that price is for a garage build in longford...cavity wall, pitched roof...and plastered externally...builder is doing House (2260sq ft)+ garage

What is the total square footage of the garage - I'm curious as to the cost per square foot.

26K? more expensive than I thought. I had hoped it would be around 15K at most. Are you based in Dublin or somewhere equally as expensive?

I'm in the west so hoping for less than that, or my car will be getting slightly cold in the winter!
Hi hjrdee,
I know its going back a while but did you build your garage and how much did it cost?
I am looking to build a garage 5m * 4m with 2 windows, single door and double doors, pitched roof. Am also in the west.

We started building our garage yesterday. If you wait a few weeks, I'll give you a full costing. We're in Leitrim.

Thanks Berlin.
What size garage and spec are you building?
Are you going the direct labour or contractor?

Garage is 8m x 5m. Hipped roof - am pricing slates at the moment. Looks like Thrutone or Supercem are the cheapest. We're not insulatiing walls, as husband will only sleep in it when he's very very bold.

Our builder gave us a cost of €15,000 to build garage ,he is also building house.
My sister got her garage built direct labour, she bought all materials for €4000!
That is you bog standard one car garage but would be insulated, roller door, 1 door and 2 windows.

Hi Berlin
Just wondering how the garage build is going?
Any idea of the costs yet?

I am also building a garage. It's a 358sq.ft (24.7ft x 14.5ft) garage. I got a quote of €1600 (cash) for labour from a roofer. Does this sound reasonable?

How much do you think the roof materials will come too?

I am also building a garage. It's a 358sq.ft (24.7ft x 14.5ft) garage. I got a quote of €1600 (cash) for labour from a roofer. Does this sound reasonable?

How much do you think the roof materials will come too?

It's all in the specification, eg what material eg tile, slate, or felt?? € 1,600 would seem very low even for a felted (best quality torched on felt, 2 layers). materials alone would be more than €800.00.