builders cutting the roads

howareya

I am so mad.

At halloween i was driving through Ratoath. It was a really miserable wet and windy evening and the driving conditions wasn't the best. Anyhow just as i was driving through the town i hit the biggest pothole i've ever come across. I had to pull in round the corner to check my wheel and low and behold some other poor unfortunate was there doing the same.
This pothole came from a cut in the road a developer had made and did not tar it back over. Thank god i ended up making it home. But i had to get my front alloy straigntened and get a new tyre also as the pothole had cut the side of my tyre. (the pothole was without joke half a foot deep)

Now last night i was driving through Mullingar and again the same thing happened. This time it was my back tyre that got the brunt of the bang. I've now to get the alloy straightened (thats if its not cracked) and hopefully i don't need a new tyre this time.

Front wheel = New Tyre €95 Fix Allow €60
Back wheel = Fix Allow € 60

This is absolutely outrageous. Both times the holes were made from the builders digging across the road and just throwing a bit of filling into it.

I was so mad lastnight that i tried to ring the council but got nowhere.

Did you take pictures of the potholes. As far as i know the Council is repsonsible for any damage caused as long as the pot hole isn't just down to wear and tear of the road.

Even when holes are filled in after works, they are rarely left even.

howareya said:
I was so mad lastnight that i tried to ring the council but got nowhere.

Not being smart, but would anyone be answering the phones last night (Sunday)?

Actually being smart you were and yes there is a customer service desk. It was actually a busy line because the power had gone out about half an hour previous to my call and i presume they were inundated with calls.

Did you take pictures of the potholes. As far as i know the Council is repsonsible for any damage caused as long as the pot hole isn't just down to wear and tear of the road.

whats to say it happened at that pothole. As far as i know i would have had to get the guards out to confirm it happened there. that i was not willing to do.

Actually being smart you were and yes there is a customer service desk. It was actually a busy line because the power had gone out about half an hour previous to my call and i presume they were inundated with calls.

It was a genuine question. I am amazed that a county council would be dealing with such issues on a Sunday night.

I've heard that councils will routinely pay out for damages caused by potholes in such circumstances.

How about carrying some yellow paint with you and do as that man in Cavan used to do a number of years ago. That is paint a yellow circle around the potholes so that drivers could see them and then hopefully avoid them. Didn't we have pothole canditates in the County Council Elections some time ago and some of them got elected. Where are they now?

Keep the receipts and bring them to the Roads Dept of the relevant Local Authority. I have presented bills to Dublin Corpo and Fingal Coco with the line ' I pay my road tax so what the hell was that I drove into last night on X road/street?' Got a cheque a couple of days later.

Keep the receipts and bring them to the Roads Dept of the relevant Local Authority. I have presented bills to Dublin Corpo and Fingal Coco with the line ' I pay my road tax so what the hell was that I drove into last night on X road/street?' Got a cheque a couple of days later.
We have also claimed from Dun Laoghaire Rathdown Co. Co. for damage caused to the wheel of a heavy bike, which hit a pothole in Dundrum, and were successful.

Back