Builder Ridiculous Quote

kimkim

Hi,

I just got a quote from a builder to do the following in my 3 bed 1980's terrace house:
  • Knock wall between hall and sitting room to make downstairs more open-plan.
  • Open up double doors between sitting room and kitchen
  • Close up existing door between hall and kitchen.
This will also involve replastering, moving radiators, sockets etc...

He quoted me €26K plus VAT!!! Ridiculous, I know. I reckon he jsut did't want the job.

So, if anyone can recommend a builder in the Dublin area (or willing to travel to Dublin) who would take on a small job for a less ridiculous price, please let me know! What would be a fiar price to expect?

Kimkim

i imagine he is taking out 1, if not 2 supporting walls to do what you want, i'm sure the support beams or whatever he uses to hold up your house aren't cheap!!

They are just partition walls, howeve he did allow for 2 RSJs in his quote just in case. Still think its a hugely inflated price though.

They are just partition walls, howeve he did allow for 2 RSJs in his quote just in case. Still think its a hugely inflated price though.

if he's a qualified chap, why would he have something like that on an off chance he may need it....he should know exactly what materials are required to do the work.

get another quote elsewhere and compare them.

They could be loadbearing partition walls though. In the upstairs in my house I know I can remove the partition on one side of the hallway but not the other as its loadbearing.

Whats the big deal, he gave a dear price, your not happy, get some other prices.He may very well be very busy at the minute and would price extra work accordingly
As an aside have you got an engineer to specify the removal of the wall? The partition could be a load bearing partition which would need rsj and column/pads for support. get some professional advice.

Get two other prices for the works, request full breakdown for the works. i.e. how much each element will cost eg.
A: Remove wall: 3000
B:support Structure : 4000
C: New Plumbing : 5000

This will easily let you know where the bulk of the money is going to be spent & in turn make it easier to compare prices for each element between builders. Ufortunately it is difficult to advise on the specific quote you got without knowing the full extent of the works, the more prices you get back will give an indicative average price.

If you get an architect to do plans and an engineer to survey the house and advise re the need for RSJ’s you won’t have much of your €26’000 left. Ask for a detailed quote that breaks down the price and states if RSJ’s are needed or not. Also ask for his VAT number, say you or your other half are self-employed and you will be claiming it back; then see what he says.

Also ask for his VAT number, say you or your other half are self-employed and you will be claiming it back; then see what he says.

For God's sake don't say this to him, just in case he reports you to Revenue - especially if you are self-employed!!!

(Btw I can't see how the VAT number could be relevant given that he has already quoted on a "+VAT" basis and therefore to get paid he must then by law produce a VAT invoice)

KimKim,

If the builder has quoted you 26k and is unsure that your internal walls are load bearing or not, then they are not the right person for the job.

Just get a quotation from another, also bear in mind that if both these walls are load bearing, you may have to spend upwards on the amount you where quoted.

I am a construction professional and would be happy to give you some guidance.

P.M. with the detailed quotation if you require my opinion

Claiming back vat on repairs to your dwelling house is tax evasion.

You're right of course.

However, saying you are going to claim it back is not: I've used this technque myself to flush out if someone really was registered for VAT or not.

saying you are going to claim it back is not: I've used this technque myself to flush out if someone really was registered for VAT or not.

I presume then that you'd have no problem or issue if the Revenue audited you on the basis that someone reported you to them for suspected evasion?

The easiest way to check whether someone is VAT-registered or not is to ask them for their number and check it with the tax office. I think you might even be able to do this online.

The easiest way to check whether someone is VAT-registered or not is to ask them for their number and check it with the tax office. I think you might even be able to do this online.[/quote]

Here's the EU web-site to check VAT numbers

[broken link removed]

The easiest way to check whether someone is VAT-registered or not is to ask them for their number and check it with the tax office. I think you might even be able to do this online.

[broken link removed][/quote]

How nifty is that? Just checked my own VAT number- and yes, it's verified! You just never know with those crafty accountants...only joking Ubi!

If you ask someone (dodgy) for their VAT number, the first question they'll come back with is "why do you want to know?". It's then you say you'd like to look into the possibility of claiming it back. They're well and truely on the spot then.

If they're legit they'll almost certainly tell you straight off. I guess there's a small chance they'd report you on the basis of a single question, but I doubt it. It also depends on how you phrase the question.

I'm actually in this situation at the moment. Having agreed a price of X + VAT, I've been presented with an invoicve for X + VAT. Only thing is, there's no VAT number on the invoice. My next stage is as above....

It'll all probably be fine, in which case there's no issue: I'll pay the total amount. If it isn't, there's no way I'd pay a 21% premium on an agreed price.

The easiest way to check whether someone is VAT-registered or not is to ask them for their number and check it with the tax office. I think you might even be able to do this online

[broken link removed]

That site's the business: work's a dream.

Next obvious question is whether or not there's anywhere online that'll do the reverse lookup (i.e. given a name goves back a VAT number)?