Builder Quotes - a mystery

noodle

Just got planning.... finally.
And have entered the unknown territory of working out the mystery of builder's quotes.
Neither of us involved have any links with the building trade - so no contacts, and real potential for ripping off.
Anyway I'll get to the point.

We had 3 quotes so far from contractors - varying from €78 sqft to €116 sqft, not including kitchen..... tiling.... floors... windows......

(And quotes for a 50sqm garage range from €15000 to 43000)

However, the quotes are very variable in what they include... e.g. boiler, solar panels... etc

What should we be looking for in a quote - as I am a complete novice, could someone please list all the categories from site works/foundations to ...... (?) that we should be getting numbers for....

Finalise the plans and get each builder to quote on delivering the building as specified in the plans. If they want to leave something out, tell them you can't do business with them.

That way you'll get quotes that are at least comparable in scope.

yes use the plans as a contract doc. If its on its in. Theoretically evry bidder should price the same items this way ( give or take )

If you are as complete novice as you say I would run the quotes by your engineer. As he is not a QS he may not know the value of works too wel but he/she will certainly tell you if they have priced as per the drawing, left anything out, over/underpriced work.....

If they have prepared the drgs they will obviuosly be familiar and in a goo postion to help out.

Also lowest aint always best, try and ring past clients to ensure quality punctuality etc.. before selecting.

Don't be surprised if the quotes vary by one hundred percent between builders for the exact same spec. That was our experience nine years ago, my sisters experience last year and a good mate of mine this year - TBH I coudn't believe the variation between the quotes when we built.

Thats better than 100% delta and not sure what they have priced though.
At least you know, in principal, if the spec is the same by all and the prices vary you will get what you want form who ever you choose.

Definitely give the plans to the builder for a full detailed quote and once you choose a builder ask for a reference/details of a previous job(s)... there are plenty of builders out there who will take a deposit and you will never see them again. If you are not sure about anything on the quote make sure to ask the builder to explain. If the builder really wants the job they will take some time out to expalin.

Good Luck!

Make sure you arrange staged payments and keep 10% back 'till you have snagged the finished job and everything is done to your satisfaction.
I would also take the time to go over all the plans a number of times as builders can charge an arm and a leg for changes during construction since they know that you have no choice but to use them.

Thanks for all the advice... it makes a lot of sense.
I realise now that I'm on a very steep learning curve.

This is how to do it properly and it wont cost a lot extra. When you have the construcion plans get a QS to estimate a price for materials. Now trust me, a builder will give your plans to a QS to get his base price and will then add what he thinks he can get away with. The QS should charge about 500 euros, get the architect to recommned one.

Ask the builder to break down his costs and the best ones usaully do so.

When you are asked for money get your engineer to check what work has been done and confirm it has been done correctly. And as you had the QS price already you will know what stage builder is at.

All the builder will do is try for extras, eg if your plans say strip foundations he may suggest raft ie dearer. if you have raft already then go with raft dont mix and match.

I know exactly what goes in an extension but unfortunately I leant the hard way. Be nice to your builder but dont trust him an inch. If I had my way again I would employ a site engieer who visited everyday and watched all the work.

good luck

just giving out the plans won't do - it doesn't say on the plans anything about quality of fittings, finishes, etc.

Nope, get your own QS, sit down and workout what you want - type of timber floors/doors, tiles/carpet, no's of sockets, boiler/heating types, footpaths, plasters, covings(or not), no's of sockets, etc etc.

Then give that and the plans out to builders - at least then they're quoting for your spec.

I can recommend a good builder. Just finished a job for me and Im really delighted with it. Fintan Brady FJB Construction - 086 6487204 Hope that helps?