Builder exceeding contract deadline in 'self' build

Bobbins

Hi all,

Apologies if this is post in the incorrect forum but I'm wondering the following:

We engaged a builder to carry out our new build in January 2007 (contracts signed 17th Jan 2007). It is now almost June '08 (18 months later) and he is still not finished. We have a snag list of over 40 items and he appears to have vanished off the face off the earth.

As far as I am concerned, I would rather never see him again and finish the work ourselves. We are very displeased with the overall finish anyway and I can't really see how he is going to rectify things. It is such a shame as we had quite a good relationship for the initial part of the build. He displayed good skills to a certain point but unfortunately due to poor management and supervision skills the finishing stage has been very unsatisfactory. There has been damage to our windows panes (for which we paid a small fortune) and he is denying his part in this, as we have no proof I am wondering what our position here is? They were perfect at installation, we wrapped them ourselves, rather pointlessly it would seem. We organised the windows ourselves, he had no part in the ordering or installation of them. The damage is quite extensive and besides him and his team there was nobody else in a position to damage them.

Our contract states a deadline of 12 months, which he has obviously gone over. He sends one of his workers to the house for a couple of hours on an occasional Saturday morning to make a mess and then disappear again. We have had to clean the site up ourselves, not once in the whole 18 months has there even been a skip on site, surely a contravention to building regs? Throughout the whole build we still had to deal with the electrician, plumber etc ourselves which stupidly we put up with, but surely the point of paying a builder is so that you don't have these headaches or maybe I'm wrong?

He hasn't been given the official engineer's snag as of yet as we were foolishly waiting for him to turn up to sort things. The engineer is now in the process of preparing the snaglist but as things stand now, I want him out of the picture. We owe him his final payment which is less that 20,000 and I'm wondering where do we stand. This is a very brief synopsis of the goings on or lack of goings on as the case is here!

Has anyone else been in a similar position or in a position to give me advice on best course of action?

Thanks in advance,

Bobbins.

Hi Micky,

As far as I can make out it is a standard contract, approved by the Law Society etc...It does mention arbitration if a dispute occurs, obviously I don't want things to come to that, however I feel that we have been very patient (too patient, possibly). I just wonder how long this can be dragged out, it is becoming ridiculous at this stage and he obviously has no intention of finishing things anytime soon.

I doubt he would accept us telling him that we are keeping final payment and finishing the work ourselves?!?

Regards,

Bobbins.

These contracts approved bythe law society are a joke and dont protect the purchaser at all. We purchased a place in may 06 and now jun 08 there is still only a hole in the ground and that was with 18 month completion notice.

Last edited: