Builder/engineer dispute

mangos

Hi

Just started a new build and there have been a number of problems.

I have engaged an engineer to oversee this but since the work started a number of issues have arisen. For instance a new back wall of the house was built too thickly, there was a beam put across the ground floor roof which a visit from the council deemed against fire regulations and now a space for a pipe for the washing machine was not put where it should have been put.

The builder keeps telling me the engineer is wrong in what he is saying & the engineer insists the builder is wrong.

I have no idea what to do
Mangos

I suggest you hold a meeting with your engineer and builder together to trash it out and get agreement.

No point in going back and forth.

Hope it works out

Jewel

The engineer is more qualified than the builder and also he should have Insurance so if he is wrong and he won't compensate you, you could then make a claim against his Insurance.

Sounds to me like you don't trust any of them!

If it was me I'd trust the builder first because he's the one building the house.

Regarding who's more qualified just because he has a piece of paper on a wall doesn't mean he knows his bum from his elbow.

The builder keeps telling me the engineer is wrong in what he is saying & the engineer insists the builder is wrong.
It is not quite clear what the situation is but it sounds like the builder is trying to do things the easy way and the Engineer wants it done properly. Did the Engineer tell the builder to put the beam in, that the Council said was against regulations?

Hi Allen

No the engineer did not tell the builder to put the beam in. In fact the builder had put in a wooden beam which was used to replace a supporting wall as 2 rooms had been made into one. The site was visited by the council unexpectedly and it was they who said the beam would have to be removed and replaced by a steel one.

Secondly a new back wall had been built and the engineer on his visit said the builder had not got the measurements correct. He then said he was going beyond his brief in dealing with rectifying this. Luckily I had a description of work costs I received from him where it highlighted he elected to look after faulty works so he subsequently addressed this with the builder.

As I have never done anything like this before I am naturally very lost especially when things go wrong.

Mangos

It sounds like the builder is a bit of a chancer. You will have to rely on the Engineer. Try to encourage him to carry out plenty of site inspections although he may want paying for this.