Builder digging driveway without permission

blinkbelle

I came home yesterday evening to my whole driveway dug up..I hadnt a clue what was going on. So I asked my neighbour and he said Oh the houses along that side are having problems with drains. As far as i knew/we knew all drains were checked etc before the last layer of tarmac was put down.

Am I right in been mad that they did not ask permission to enter my property and dig it up? they had a mini digger in front garden aswell, all my hard work that i put in the garden is destroyed.

If they had of asked i certainly would not of minded as long as they reseeded lawn and didnt leave a mess. There further down today and I asked someone what was going to happen when the problem was fixed he said i dont know im only doing what i was told ask the boss?? (who is no where to be seen)

Lived over a year in the house. We dont have problems with drainage, but did notice stuff coming through the manholes on the street.

Assuming you live in an estate it will be normal to have a covenant in your title deeds to allow access to resolve problems such as drainage in the estate. Most clauses would require reasonable notice to be given and would ensure that the area should be restored after works completed. Check your title documents for the wording in your estate. If it is the usual then they should have given notice ( unless it was an emergency which this doesnt sound like) and they should restore the property to the way it was after completion.

I'd call the Garda. Even if it is the County Council, they have no right to enter your premises without permission, unless in an emergency, which it does not sound like.

It's Trespass and it's illegal, contact your solicitor for advice

Back