Builder Charging more than quoted price

AileenF

Hi,

We were quoted 6k (cash) for the blockwork for a 2300 sqft bungalow house. The builder didn't realise that there were going to be concrete slabs put on instead of the standard joices. He said he would have to charge a little extra than what he already quoted as there would be more work involved. ie. an extra row of blocks. We tried to get an exact price of how much extra and he said it would not be that much more. We already paid him 4500 and now he is looking for another 4 K!!! THis is 2500 more than what was origninally quoted.

Does this sound a terrible lot?

Sounds far too much! Did he put these slabs on himself??? I wouldn't hand over that sort of cash for 1 extra row of blocks...think about it 2.5k more for a row of blocks?

How could the builder be unaware of the fact that you were using concrete slab at first floor level when he priced the job??
If that is the case (and I find it hard to believe it is ) then he will no doubt be seeking a substantial ( to say the least) extra when it comes to the first floor slabs........or are you referring to a ground floor slab as opposed to a suspended timber floor (these are an extremely rare form of ground floor construction these days), he will similarly be seeking an extra for a slab ground floor.

Was the form of construction not made clear to him at tender stage??? It seems to me it it wasn't, an extra course of blocks is only the tip of the iceberg in terms of the cost overruns you can expect.

Do you have any sort of contract in place with him? - a letter of intent even?
It is insane not to have some form of construction contract in place- especially given current construction costs. Constructing a house is the largest investment many of us will make and to do so on the basis of some agreement signed on the back of a fag pack is crazy.

The RIAI (Royal Institute of Architects) publishes standard construction contracts which are available to purchase. For domestic work the "Short Form 88" or "Blue Form" are the most appropriate. These contracts were drawn up by the RIAI,CIF and Assoc. Chartered Surveyors They protect you against unjustified overuns and extras and any builder worth his salt will have no problem signing one.

Sorry I'm not more helpful.

Z

No he didn't put them on. The concrete slab company put them on.

I just can't believe it.

Are you going down the direct labour route? This is the difficulty of this form of construction -the coordination of the various trades can be a nightmare. In terms of time ie. your time, it usually doesn't represent much of a saving over the course of a project.

Don't give him another cent until you reach a reasonable agreed cost for the extra work. Ask him to explain in detail, precisely why he sees fit to charge such an exorbitant amount for an extra course of blockwork. If he still insists on charging that amount, get the extra blockwork surveyed and costed by a QS and tell him if he won't agree to a more reasonable extra the two of you can settle the issue in the small claims court. Be tough with him.

Z

Yes - we are going down the Direct Labour route. The slabs were for the first floor. What do you mean by this being only the "tip of the iceberg" as far as cost overruns are concerned? I am getting a little bit scared!

Look, I didn't mean to alarm you, I wasn't aware you were using direct labour when I made my first post in this thread.I assumed a builder had priced the entire scheme based on a set of drawings. Direct labour just puts you under a lot of hassle wrt coordination etc.

My second post still stands- do not give this guy an inch.His claim from what you have described seems totally illegitimate. Do not give him any more money until you have resolved the issue to your satisfaction. Play hardball with him, or he'll simply seek more extras as the job progresses.

Z

You have your blocks up , he has nothing to hold over you... make him a fair offer, if he doesn't accept give him your solictors details for any further contact....

Does this sound a terrible lot?

It does. I wouldn't even make an offer. Ask him to itemise the extra 2500 in the context of the original quote. Tell him once you have a breakdown, you will discuss his request with a Quantity Surveyor.

Do you need him to complete any more work (2nd level) ?

No he is completely finished with the blockwork. I am going to ask him for a breakdown of this extra cost.

If he is finished the block work, you hold all the cards,

Be diplomatic, but firm. You agreed a price and have budgetd accordingly.
Ask, why he did not highlight the increase before now, Tell hi you have been fair and he got his 4500 without any problems, and you will pay him the balance, but not extra unless he can tell you why.

In my case, I had to pay extra to a contractor for an extra row of block, but he told me before..

Anyway, don't stress cost overrun is inevidable, but make sure he is not chancing his arm

forgive this frivolous comment - I sympathise having been in a similar situation but coming out ok by sticking to guns - but I was thinking the title equates to "Cats drinking milk"