Builder adding 10% to extras cost - normal or fast one..?

The Pool Boy

Hi

Is it normal for a builder to charge 10% of the cost of extras as a management charge to handle them.

We agreed various extras (windows, doors, insulation etc) that came to about €5,500 and builder has added 10% management fee to his final bill for these extras. I don't see any such clause in the contract and wondering if this is an accepted industry practice or is he pulling a fast one.

Unless I'm reading you wrong he is adding a % uplift on material costs which not unusual.

Thanks mathpac for the quick reply.

When the building work was being done, we agreed some changes and agreed the additional price.

For example, €2k extra on windows, €550 for different doors etc

Now he's presented the bill with these items on it at the agreed price, with an additional item at the bottom of a management charge of 10%. The 10% was never mentioned when we agreed the price and I don't see it in the contract. The prices were written down and agreed, the 10% wasn't.

I would imagine the cost is for his extra time in sourcing , purchasing, delivering those new items.

Under the standard contract, the builder is entitled to charge for his work in dealing with the extras like this, and if your contract is silent on the matter then I think the standard contract is a reasonable place to start.

There are two matters he is entitled to charge for, his additional work, and a profit element.

If he agreed an additional price that should cover his costs, and in fairness he should have explained at that stage his entitlement to add a profit element. If you are not in the trade, how would you know.

The traditional profit element is 5% of the total not 10%. Its calculated like this cost €2,550 divided by 19 multiplied by 20 gives €2,684 so his profit is €134 on the total €2,684.

I would push back fairly strongly, if he wanted a profit element he should have made that clear up front, 10% on top is an unreasonable profit element.

Back