Build Your Own Solar System

truthseeker

So Ive seen the ads on tv and its a very nice looking brass orrery that you end up with so I went off to the website with the intention of subscribing.

Then I worked out the costs. Its 5.99 sterling per issue (special offer on first 3 issues 7.99 sterling for all 3) so over the 52 issues (and a year spent collecting them) it costs you 301.50 sterling to build the orrery.

Obviously you get all the magazines for that too and a couple of 'gifts' - but i thought it was a VERY expensive way to build an orrery.

Needless to say - I didnt subscribe.

Do other people think that seems expensive?

As you say it would be nice to have, but I am sure you could track down something similar pre-made for a lot less.

Those magazine offers on TV are all poor value. I bet they sell loads of the 1st one at the reduced price and then small numbers after that.

Have you seen the one with the creatures/scary figures? Who would want to collect rubbish like that?

I actually own a handmade personally engraved orrery that was given to me as a gift so although I dont know the price, Id be very surprised if it was to the tune of 300 sterling.

I havent seen the scary figures one!!! I have often examined the contents of these types of magazines in shops (there was one with puzzles a while back) and I thought the quality was bad compared to how it looked in the ad.