Budapest

Rose Violet

Am heading to Budapest in February for 4 nights & have booked the Corinthina Grand Royal hotel. Has anyone stayed there? If so what's the best way to get to/from airport? Also any suggestions for restaurants or any other information would be appreciated.

Corinthia Grand Royal is a beautiful hotel & very central. I couldn't recommend it highly enough. There's a tram stop almost in front of the door & it's a quick walk down from Octogon metro station.

Lizst Ter is just around the corner from your hotel where they have a choice of many quite reasonable restaurants. Hotel itself is quite ok if you don't want to go out. Expensive by Budapest standards but not by Irish.

The other thread recommended by Clubman has lots of info on B'pest.

You can get a shuttle from the airport to most central hotels. I booked a return collection for my group but there were 6 of us so it worked out every bit as cheap to be collected. [broken link removed]
Do NOT just take a taxi from outside the airport. Some of the taxi drivers are pure gangsters.

By the way February can be freezing there so be sure to pack warm clothes.

If you are travelling light then I think it's worth getting the bus from the airport to the nearest metro station (can't remember the name) and taking it from there to get into the city just to get a bit of a feel for the place.

Thank you for all your replies - it's great to head off with loads of information in advance.

I will post any tips I discover on my return

In relation to getting from the airport, here are the other options:
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica]
Take the 200 bus from outside the arrivals lounge to the last stop of the M3/blue metro line, Köbánya Kispest. From here, take the metro to Deák Ferenc Tér, the junction of all three metro lines, where you should then change to the M1/yellow line and get off at Oktogon, two mins walk from your hotel. On each part of the journey, you would need to validate a transport ticket (230 HUF).

The Airport Minibus in the arrivals lounge costs 2,300 HUF single or 3,900 HUF return and will bring you to any address within the city limits. Call (+36 1) 296-8555 at least 24 hours before your return journey to arrange collection at your hotel.

A taxi from the only permissible operator, Zóna Taxi, typically costs 4,300 each way (fixed fare) but as Perplexed says, they're not that pleasant to use.

(€1 = approx. 250 HUF)
[/FONT]

Thanks Budapest - that's very helpfull.

By your name would I guess that you have some affiliation to the city?

Back