BT Voyager 210 issue

Sylvester3

Hi All, I just thought I would share something with you that I finally resolved over the weekend, in case it is an issue for anyone else. I signed up to BT broadband last year and recieved a Voyager 210 ADSL modem to connect with. A few months back I started to get a problem with disconnects every so often - they were regular enough to be a nuisance but not enough for me to seriously worry about it. Recently the problem got worse and I realised that it seemed to coincide with BT automatically upgrading my Broadband speed from 2mb to 3mb. I finally noticed that the disconnect occurred when my download speed accelerated above a certain level - around 150 - 200 kbps.

To cut a long story short I finally found out that the modem has an issue with overheating. When I removed the cover (not recommended obviously!) and left it to run it gave no problems and did not disconnect even when the download speed went skywards somewhere over 300 kbps. I left some torrents running overnight and the logs show no loss of service, so it looks like I need a replacement modem (or a modified existing one). Anyway this thread on the scream gave me the pointers I needed.

So if your connection keeps dropping on BT broadband, this may the reason.

Back