BT broadband wireless security

noel123ie

Hi all,

Just wondering what I need to do to make this secure ie to stop other individuals going on and using my connection to go online.

I have tried various settings and to no avail

Thanks
Noel

(I'm assuming that you have a router if you are wireless)

You need to log onto the router.
You can either turn on access control ( if this is avilable on your router so that only wireless cards that you have specified can access the connection. (note this does not encrypt data) or you can turn on encryption. ( this is whre devices need to have a key entered before they are allowed to connect.

Yo should really have a look at your router manual and it should take you step by step on how to do this.

I'm having the same problem - the 2 page leaflet didn't give enough detail.

Using a password or key is very good. There are other options too.

Disable Broadcast SSID - Most wireless routers broadcast their name (SSID) so anyone with a wireless laptop in the area can see that there's a wireless network present. If you disable this broadcasting, people can't see it and so they won't attempt to connect to it.

MAC Address Filtering - Every network device has a unique MAC address like this, 00-08-0D-39-CA-E3. You can tell your router to allow only approved MAC Addresses so anybody unknown to the router will not be able to connect.

To view your MAC address, go to Start > Run, type in cmd and press enter. Then type ipconfig/all. Scroll up untill you see your wireless network adapter details and your MAC address is presented as "Physical Address" in the format above. Bear in mind that your onboard ethernet adapter will have a different MAC address to your wireless netword adapter.#

Hope this helps :)

You can have a look at the full user manual here

The ip address of your router is : 192.168.2.1

Back