bt broadband using wireless - security question

pator

In using the bt broadband with a wireless router supplied by bt there was a 13 digit key supplied by bt and I have my username and password - is this enough security to ensure the neighbours are not using my broadband? Once I had connected the first time didn't have to use password again unless I disconnect the broadband. (I presume with all this its not like the 0000 password that used to be in the past with some providers)

I ask because last weekend had to disconnect and reconnect to get the broadband to work, I know its always on but if my computer is turned off and I turn on and check it says that bt broadband has been connect for a number of hours. Is this normal?

Sorry hard to explain what was happening

The 13 digit key is your your local wep/wpa key for you to connect to your wireless signal. If you have wep/wpa security on your wireless signal you should have to only configure your laptop/PC to see this once and it is then remembered in the config for your wireless setting.

The 4 digit key was/is either
A) the password for your router to connect to your ISP (which I know BT require as they use PPPOE) or
B) the password to get on to the administration of your router which was 0000 on some routers so Im guessing this is it.

If someone got on to your network and typed 192.168.1.1 into their browser they could get on to your router admin pages and do funny stuff if they wanted by typing in the default username (admin?)and password(0000) for the router.
so as this is probably the case, get on to your routers admin pages and change the password. google for instruction on how to do same for your model router.

you may need to configure a new wep/wpa key as well if it has reset to off, again, google for your models config settings.

Disable the SSID in the router setting as well so you are not broadcasting the access point and people will be none the wiser that you have a wireless connection.

Thanks a mill for this guys.

The password I used to log on the first time was one I supplied to bt.
Ya I haven't had to use it since - unless I go back into that 192 address and log off

If someone got on to my netwrok would they need this password to access ?? Or would it be there now for them to just click on like it is for me?

They only need the wireless key. More than likely, you have your router setup so that its automatically connected to the www.

Make sure your using WPA - and not WEP. Wep can be cracked in a matter of minutes. WPA can also be cracked but it takes a long time and a lot of effort - highly unlikely anybody would go to this sort of trouble.
As diesel dave suggested, disable SSID broadcasting. Also, theres a MAC address control option - which can be set to allow access only to a list pc's/laptops. The router identifies them by their MAC addresses - which you have to input on the 'allow' list.

Thanks for that.
I assummed the 13 digit wireless key was unique to me, is it just a standard one?