BT broadband problems, or computer?

colin79ie

Hi,

When I am using the internet, most times after I start up the computer etc.., I click on IE and my Google homepage comes up. I then type in a search criteria and the results page comes up and then when I click on one of the results it does nothing, just says 'waiting for......' in the bottom left corner. If I then switch the modem off and then on again, it seems to work.

Also if I open Outlook express to check my emails, it will say 'receiving 1 message', for hours, and will not download it, even though the message might only be 15 Kb. Again resetting the modem will help.

I have a relatively new computer, with vista, a wired modem and no other problems.

BT support say it's not their problem but I think it is.

Any suggestions?

Almost impossible to disagnose the problem based on the information posted above. As ever pinning it down should be a process of elimination - e.g. try another laptop/PC on your link and if that works then it's something with your computer. Try another browser etc. etc.

Also if I open Outlook express to check my emails, it will say 'receiving 1 message', for hours, and will not download it, even though the message might only be 15 Kb. Again resetting the modem will help.

What model of modem are you using? does the issue only happen with the google web site or does it also happen on others.

Try d/loading mozilla firefox and see if the issue with google remains - also ensure you have all the latest ie and outlook patches - Microsoft have recently released Vistas 1st service pack so you might want to d/load and apply that if you havent already.

Also check your anti-virus software, I have heard that norton can cause these types of issues

Back