BT Broadband Online Application

The Pool Boy

I'm looking to order the BT Broadband package and have a query on what I need. I've rung their helpline and been met with I don't know I just answer calls type response.

It's asking me how many PCMCIA cards I require and how many USB cards I require. What are they and how many do I need...?

I want the wireless option and my PC is a Dell 3/4 years old.

thanks in advance.

If you have a PC as opposed to a laptop, I suspect you need a USB 'card' (more like a dongle I would have thought) and not the PCMCIA card.

Have you called their technical support line as opposed to sales/admin?

I did a bit of research and spoke to someone who has it already....the USB card is what I need.

thanks for the reply.

"It's asking me how many PCMCIA cards I require and how many USB cards I require. What are they and how many do I need...?"

I have a similar question. I have a laptop with windows xp operating system... what would I need in the way of cards? I thought I just needed a modem. I dont intend to use BB for games etc. Can anybody help me?

I have a similar question. I have a laptop with windows xp operating system... what would I need in the way of cards? I thought I just needed a modem. I dont intend to use BB for games etc. Can anybody help me?
What laptop make/model? Most have an ethernet port as standard and many have wireless as standard so you may need nothing extra to connect to a LAN which offers broadband access.

Its an Acer 1200 Travelmate, puchased about 2002 or 2003. It has an ethernet port but dont know if its wireless. It has a slot thats about credit card sized on one side ????

If it has an ethernet port then you can always hook it up directly to a router that gives access to broadband. But that obviously limits mobility so you might want wireless access to a wireless router which is connected to a broadband router/modem (or is an all in one device). I can't find an Acer 1200 Travelmate manual [broken link removed] but I presume that the credit card sized slot is a PCMCIA/CardBus/PCCard slot. You could probably get a wireless ethernet adaptor for that if you have USB ports on the machine then that might be a better bet.

i had a similar problem lately.

I went and bought a Berlkin Wireless USB thingy to stick in the back of my dell laptop but seemed to be having major problems trying to connect every time. kept telling me i had "limited or no connectivitiy", though every time i phoned up BB eircom they said they could see i was connected and couldnt see what the problem was. i have to say, they really were no help whatsover and really infuriated me at times.

anyway, i realised then that i would have had a built in dell wireless network card already.

is this why i couldnt connect? cos it didnt know which to connect to?? as in the built in card or the usb thing i bought?

anyway, the last couple of days seem to be okay. but was a nightmare having to input in the WEP number each time etc.

i had a similar problem lately.

I went and bought a Berlkin Wireless USB thingy to stick in the back of my dell laptop but seemed to be having major problems trying to connect every time. kept telling me i had "limited or no connectivitiy", though every time i phoned up BB eircom they said they could see i was connected and couldnt see what the problem was. i have to say, they really were no help whatsover and really infuriated me at times.
LAN connectivity issues such as this may not be their responsibility. They are responsible for your broadband connection. If that was working fine then that could be their job done. Chances are it was and your problem was simply the connection from your PC/laptop to the router.
is this why i couldnt connect? cos it didnt know which to connect to?? as in the built in card or the usb thing i bought?
Unlikely. More likely to be a driver problem or something like that.
anyway, the last couple of days seem to be okay. but was a nightmare having to input in the WEP number each time etc.
You should not have to reenter the WEP key/passphrase each time.

Back