BT broadband limit?

colin79ie

I have recently signed up for this broadband package. I was told on the phone it was always on unlimited use. I then read somewhere that there is a monthly usage limit of 10??GB. Can someone put me in the picture about this. What is it, and how do I monitor it? What happens if I go over it?

Which specific package? Have you read the terms & conditions? Many broadband packages are always on and you can use them as long as you like but do have download and/or upload caps of a certain number of GB. Some ISPs allow you to check your limit usage on an ongoing basis online. Some people install monitors to track this in more detail. Where download/upload caps apply the ISP will normally reserve the right to charge you per MB over the caps. Some allow you to configure your account to stop working if you hit the cap and until the next month starts.

Well according to this:

[broken link removed]

If you want to keep tabs on your usage and BT don't provide any online way to check your account usage then you may need to install something locally to monitor usage. There is most likely something suitable available for free somewhere like www.downloads.com or www.tucows.com etc.

Bear in mind that transferring 10GB in a month would take a lot of heavy usage (e.g. lots of movies, music files etc.). I think my cap is less than half that and I have never hit it.

I've been with BT for over a year and, while I've had endless hassle with their billing/payments department, I've found their broadband product (and technical support) pretty good.

You can check your broadband usage — for the current month, and in total since join-up — at http://broadband.iol.ie/usage/ (you'll need your BT username and password to login to the site).

As ClubMan has posted, BT technically reserve the right to charge you for going over your cap, but I've never, ever heard of it happening.
Good thing, too...!

See the Boards.ie broadband forum for more...