BT Broadband - can send, but not receive e-mails

delgirl

Hope someone can help - just installed BT Broadband and have no problem accessing the Internet and sending e-mails, but I can't receive them.

Called their support and she said she thinks it's probably Norton blocking the e-mails? It wasn't doing it before I installed BTBB, why should it be doing it now?

Changed the outgoing mail server to mail.iol.ie - they said I don't have to change anything else, but I still can't receive e-mails.

Any help greatly appreciated! Thanks.

What service were you using before this? Did you change the incoming POP3 server details in your email account settings and not just the outgoing SMTP server details?

Hi ClubMan, I was using UTVip - BT told me only to change the outgoing mail server to mail.iol.ie. I still have my old unison.ie e-mail account so the incoming server would have to be the same, pop3.unison.ie, wouldn't it?

OK - I didn't realise that you were continuing to use a non BT address. What you say above makes sense so. Is there a webmail interface to your Unison account to check if emails are awaiting collection? Do you get any errors when you do a send/receive? Perhaps the emails are being received but are now going into you junk mail folder or being filtered as spam by something (on your PC or at the ISP's end)? Have you checked the firewall logs to check if emails are being blocked?

Thanks a lot ClubMan - it was the firewall!

Am over the moon with the internet connection and download speed!

BTW, belated congrats on the recent addition to the family.

Well - I guess the BT support person got there before me to be honest.

Thanks for the congrats.