BT Broadband Beware

daveco23

Signed up for Option 2 BT Broadband in October, which included 2mbsec download speed. Thought it a bit slow recently so used speedtest.ie to check and found I was only getting 1mbsec download speed. Called BT Tech support who said that although I was being charged for 2mb, they had only hooked me up for 1 mb, ergo I have been overcharged €100 over the past 6 months. This has been credited back, but had I not checked I would have continued to be fleeced.
Moral of the story is check that whatever download speed you have signed up to is actually what is provided...

I checked mine recently and it clocked at 1.6mbps. I had originally signed up for 1 mb but they said they had upgraded every cust on 1meg to 2 meg. Think I might ring them for a refund. Cheers

How are you measuring the throughput? 1.6Mbps actual throughput on a link nominally rated at 2Mbps would not necessarily indicate any problem. Don't forget that protocol and routing overhead etc. means that actual throughput will generally be (sometimes significantly) below the theoretical rated throughput. Check your router's admin console to see what raw speed it is connecting at as well as running one of the many online speed testers which measure data throughput.

SidTheDweeb said:
I have BT BB...
Just did the test

1.75Mbps Down
0.216Mbps Up

About right?
If you are on a 2mbps plan then that looks ok. As clubman says below, the 2 mbps can vary depending on time of day, contention etc, but plus or minus .5mbps is ok.
When I did it this morning before I called BT i was 0.675 mbps...

daveco23 said:
If you are on a 2mbps plan ...
Just to be pedantic, presumably you are on 2Mbps download/256Kbps upload. Remember that the 'A' in ADSL stands for asymmetric and reflects the fact that the download speed is different to (higher than) the upload speed.

your (eircom) line could have degraded since the test said it could support 2Mbits . That or you got sky in which would degrade the line.

The 2mbit connection is nothing to do with BT equipment at all, every inch of it including the gizmo that negotiates speed with you based on line conditions belongs to eircom.

Back