BSOD / Crash Recovery

bigred

Hi All,
14 month old laptop (HP Pavilion) froze yesterday while browsing and now will not restart.. I just get the Blue Screen of Death.. even in safe mode!..

I have the recovery disks that will reset it back to factory build but unfortunately (nobody to blame but myself) I dont have anything backed up so I'm faced with losing a lot of valuable information, email, pics, music etc.

What could cause such a fatal error? I didn't install any software recently and my anti virus was up to date. Have I any option other than to use the recovery disks? Anyone have a similar experience or know any good PC Doctors that I could bring it into?

Thanks,
BR

Have I any option other than to use the recovery disks?
Yes - at the very least you should be able to boot using something like a Ubuntu live CD and then access the Windows partition(s) to backup files to an external drive or other removable media (CD, DVD, flash drive etc.) just in case you do end up having to wipe the machine and start again. Do this first. Then see if you can do a repair install to recover the existing installation maybe?