Bruges

jasconius

Just back from a week in Bruges.
Took a house there and used it as a base for Gent, Brussels and Ypres.
Friendly people - English spoken everywhere and prices (except petrol) about 20% cheaper than Eire Ireland.
Would recommend it.

I went there for the Christmas markets a couple of years ago, while staying in Brussels, and absolutely loved it. Where did you stay Jasconius? Is Gent and Ypres as nice as Bruges?

Were you driving over there and how did you find it? What were the other drivers like?

Went to Bruges for the first time ...God, it's nearly ten years ago now!

Loved it, went back to Belgium again a few times and stayed in Bruxelles and Gent but always went back to Bruges for a visit...did you go to the Huisbrouwerij De Halve Mann brewery for a tour? If anyone is going, go for that. Its' very cheap for a half hour tour of old brewery, and a beautiful view of Bruges from the top of it and a lovely glass of beer at the end! very good value! Gent is well worth a visit too, its more of a real town to live in than Bruges and the architecture is lovely. pedestrian only in town so very relaxing for walking around. lovely lovely town, lots of quirky shops that you would never buy anything from but are lovely to windowshop.

Always or nearly always find belgians lovely, was over on my own couple of years ago for a month and didn't feel out of sorts once... nearly everywhere I went people were smiling and helpful.

Found a website and booked house in Bruges with its windy cobbled streets for less than €600 for the week.
Travelled by car via Dover/Calais
Saw all the sites including the smallest medieval window in Europe (about 6sq inches)
Each day visited a site - Ostend, Netherlands,Gent, Brussels and Ypres
The Ypres Salient was very soul searching and while the trenches were very spooky, it was great to find the names of the fallen ones in my garandfather's regiment (The Royal Dublin Fusiliers) inscribed on a huge monument in the largest war grave in Europe at Tyne Cot.

Great time was had by all.
Contrary to popular belief, the Belgians are very placid drivers - even though they do drive on the wrong side of the road!!
English spoken everywhere we went
While Bruge (or Brugge or Brugges) is very chocolate boxy, I like chocolate esp Belgian variety!!

Bruges is worth two days itself , but we used it as a base. Would have liked another day in Ypres - maybe next year!

Thats reassuring to hear about the other drivers. We should be going to Belgium next year for a year, and while the train is great, just going to places off the train makes a car necessary. Even a supermarket trip is much much easier with the car.

I'm looking forward to living the life there with that beautiful architecture, I really love it. Gent is a great place for watching the world go by, love people watching with a glass of bier and a good seat!

Haven't got to Ypres/Ieper yet but we will...am sure it must be very moving.

Trains are half fare at the weekends - so Bruges to Brussels on Saturday is €12.60 return - cheaper from Gent.
If you are not sure about a car, why not take a bike. Great means of getting around and you have priority at all the junctions over cars, you can even go both ways in a oneway street!

Am definitely going to get a bike!!! Can't wait...used to love cycling when I was younger but even though I live in near coast, would be nervous of cycling here as roads are very narrow for cars let alone a bike.

Loved the bikes in Gent, people of all ages cycling down main st, only a few trams to watch out for. People look so much more relaxed when on a bicycle. and less smelly fumes too. Really can't wait!