Browser Hijack

IrishGunner

Parents old PC running Windows NT2000 and the browser is hijacked

Ran a Hijack this and deleted the necessary but still no joy
Dont have the log with me

Using Free AVG and MS antispyware

If I delete and re-install IE and Firefox will this solve the problem ?

Also for this operating system is it worthwhile d/l MS SP pack but which one ?
Think there are 4 of them ?

Thing is they are on the old Slow Dial Up connection

The hijacker may have installed registry settings which allow it to reinfect the machine each reboot. Uninstalling the browsers is unlikely to solve the problem. Search for a removal tool or instructions specific to the specific hijacker in question.

If multiple SPs are available for a version of Windows then just get the latest one and it contains all the patches included in earlier ones. You may be able to download it on a fast link, burn it to CD and then install it from there on the dial-up PC.

ClubMan said:
Search for a removal tool or instructions specific to the specific hijacker in question.

Cheers

How do I determine this? The browser just opens up a new tab in firefox with different urls So just do a google on the urls and how to remove them ?

Ta

exactly. use the following term in google

"url in browser" browser hijack removal

and you should get returns on how to get rid of it.

ClubMan said:
The hijacker may have installed registry settings which allow it to reinfect the machine each reboot. Uninstalling the browsers is unlikely to solve the problem. Search for a removal tool or instructions specific to the specific hijacker in question.

If multiple SPs are available for a version of Windows then just get the latest one and it contains all the patches included in earlier ones. You may be able to download it on a fast link, burn it to CD and then install it from there on the dial-up PC.

If you do have access to a fast link you could also burn the latest versions of Spybot S&D and AdAware and install them aswell.

Also as car suggested google "url in browser" browser hijack removal and if this returns any tools you can use burn them on this CD too.

As an aside is it possible to uninstall IE, I know it was one of the suggested remedies at some of Microsofts antitrust trials that they inclide a facility to do so but was it ever made final. And in any event isn't it so embedded in the OS that removing IE would only really have removed the shortcut to start it leaving most its components still on the PC?

Back