Brown Bins - Biodegradable plastic bags

csirl

Anyone know of a shop in Dublin that sells biodegradeable plastic bags? How much do they cost?

I'm in one of those households where DCC have issued brown bins (food & organic waste). DCC give you a caddy (a mini bin thing) for your kitchen to fill with food waste which you in turn empty into the brown bin. It gets very messy & smelly quickly as you cant use a plastic liner with it - only way around this is hosing it out every day which isnt practical.

I contacted DCC and the said it is ok to use biodegradeable plastic bags as liners provided they decompose within 45 days.

Most supermarkets (I've found then in Tesco, Dunnes and Supervalu) sell biodegradable bin bags of various sizes. I use pedal bin and swing bin size. I think you can also get a wheely bin size.

If you can't find any, or run out, try wrapping food waste in newspaper and compost the likes of veg waste, tea bags etc.

Dunnes Stores do one the size of the mini brown bin ie similar to the size of plastic shopping bags. Work out at 20 c each bag. Much cleaner to handle than using the bin without a liner.

Back