Brother to Leave Home now That it has been willed to his Sister

RowanTree

My mother has been willed her family home and business. Her brother lived in the house for the last two years due to financial difficulties. Now he is required to leave as her son (my brother) is going to move in there with his girlfriend. This uncle was willed alot of money that he will receive at the end of the year. He now has stopped talking to my mother so it’s very hard to negotiate through this situation.
What options are available to my mother and equally what options are available to my uncle?
Any outside, independent advice / help on this would greatly be appreciated.

How could the uncle have financial difficulties if he was willed a lot of money that he will receive at the end of the year.

Re-cap. And make some assumptions

Your grandparent died. That grandparent had two children - your mother and your uncle. Everyone is well over 23 years old so we can assume they are financially independent of everyone.

There were substantial assets in the grandparents estate - money, a house (the family home) and a business. The grandparent left money to their son and the house and business to their daughter. The son had been living in the family home but it was not his - he was not on the deeds. He is unhappy about this and feels he should have been left the business.

What can be done? He can try and upset the will. Will he succeed? That depends on the circumstances. He can at least take legal advice.

Of course, if the daughter who got the house and business also feels that this is all wrong, she could try and re-jig the distribution of the estate. And if she feels that her brother is just being an unjustified whinger, she can simply let the estate be distributed in accordance with her parent's will and let the brother contest (or not contest) the will.

Most of these situations can be forecast in advance - there is generally a history.

mf

Wills can be a huge source of conflict and in this case it is difficult to know exactly without knowing the full story. The only piece of advice I can offer in relation to your disgruntled uncle is, if he was a major contributor over the years to the growing success of the business then there may be grounds for challenge (as mf1 posted there is generally a history).
OP mentions that uncle will receive a substantial amount of money rather than home and business so maybe parents felt that he would be more capable of turning money into something more or maybe they didn't like the prospect of family business and home being lost, you said he faced financial difficulties. Without the full facts it's speculation.
On the face of it your Mum seems in a pretty strong place other than the potential personal conflict with her brother. Hopefully this will ease over time when he receives his cash inheritance.

Does your uncle have his own home? (apart from the house that has now been willed to your mother)?

He is now separated not legally as his wife wanted money and assets he didn't have. It's not clear if he still owns half of the house his own family was reared. He then lived with his partner for a while in a premises that's now solt so then he had to move in with my uncle.

Back