Brother MFC series. Beware!

O

Ocras

Hi, just a warning to anyone considering purchasing a printer from Brother.

I stand by everything said below as fact and will update it if Brother rapidly change their tune.

Bought an MFC580 multifunction printer in October 2003 for €199. Last week it froze and displayed "Error 41". I checked the web and saw that it was a known problem and Brother had extended their warranty to 1.5 years.

Brought printer back to seller yesterday, with receipt, who said there wouldn't be an issue as they are returning them all the time. Print head needs replacing. "Faulty Product".

Seller rang me yesterday to say that Brother says, that according to the serial number, my printer is early 2003 manufacture, so they won't honour the extended warranty.

Brother would however, be delighted to replace the print head at a cost of €250.

Of course I'm miffed and will have to purchase a new printer, as I'm at a loss without it. Definately won't be a Brother!

Incidentally, my name and address was on the receipt, so Brother could have easily "called back".

Have a look at this ODCA [broken link removed].

If the goods are not 'fit for purpose', maybe you have a case?

It's a valid issue and I will bring it up with the seller.Thanks.

What annoys me is that I am being told that I do not have recourse due to the manufacture date and not the sale date. In other words, if I had picked one off the back of the shelf, with a more recent manufacture date, I would be under warranty.

Back