Brookfield Road, Kilmainham - any comments?

gaius

It's at the St James hospital end of South Circular road. It seems quiet enough with plenty of amenities nearby but I'd welcome any comments.
Thanks

I have a friend living nearby. She likes it well enough, but it can be a bit rough around the edges. The other side of the hospital (James Street) feels fairly threatening at night, and I wouldn't walk up it in the dark. There is also a drugs clinic/welfare office there, and even during the day I walk on the other side of the street. Around the Luas & Canal as well can be threatening, with a fair amount of drug addicts etc.

It's fine. The local Spar/Centra is open till 10pm & I'd often be running out for milk/bread that late and always felt grand about it. (am female). Have walked home from Luas late at night and it was always fine - there are usually a few people getting off at the same time. HAve walked a person up to A&E one night and tbh were more concerned about his condition than anything going on, and much to my surprise the A&E wasn't full of junkies.
Like anywhere in Dublin central, keep your eyes open.

I lived there for 6 years and really liked it.

The houses are lovely, the rooms have high ceilings and if you are lucky, the original fireplaces are really nice.

I used to walk to the bus stop and the local shop at night regularly and never felt threathened or unsafe.

The whole area is a little "rough around the edges" as horusd has put it, but if you are looking in Dublin 8, then that will come as no surprise. Kilmainham is very quiet compared to Dolphins Barn, or the Coombe.

Feel free to PM me if you have other specific questions.