Brooke Lodge, Wicklow

ragazza

Hi,

does anyone have feedback on Brooke Lodge in Wicklow?
Each year, my sisters, my mum and myself go away for a weekend together.
Since its only once a year and since my mum is in her late seventies, we are looking for somewhere comfortable and quite upmarket.
Ideally we'd like a nice spa area, and a good restaurant (2 of the group are vegatarians), and nice rooms.
Has anyone been there, and can give their personal view?

Thanks,
Ragazza.

Stayed here a few times:
  • Lovely location
  • Great restaurant
  • Excellent rooms
  • New spa
Its in a quiet location, about 1 mile from Aughrim village. I would think that it would be ideal for your purpose if you want a quiet relaxing weekend.

Hi Conan,

thanks for the feedback.

I've read on Trip Advisor that it gets very noisy and over-run when there is a wedding or function on. Was there one on when you stayed?

I hear the Mezzanine Suites are the best, but are quite expensive! You mention the room you had was excellent - was this a standard room? (in which case we wouldnt bother to upgrade).

Also in the Strawberry Restaurant, it seems like there is only a set menu, with limited vegetarian options. Do you know is it possible to choose a la carte?

Thanks again!
Ragazza.

Can be a bit noisy when a party on, which is very "de rigeur" these days as a number of celebs have had their bash on there. However, the place is quite sprawling, so may not be as much of an issue as you might think.

Stawberry restaurant is Expensive, but worth every cent if you want a bit of class to rival somewhere like Brown's on the Green or similar.

On the spa, pricey by comparison to others out there, but probably fairly valued. Be aware that as the spa is part of the overall complex, it can be a bit daunting that you could be walking around in your dressing gown while non-spa guests are walking around also - particularly at meal times.

On balance worth a stay, but would not really combine with spa unless you can be assured of a non-party weekend.

I've been at a wedding in Brook Lodge, it was very good, but I think the place has got very trendy and can imagine that if there was a function on the place wouldn't be too peaceful.

My absolute favourite is the 5 star Heritage Hotel at Killenard, Co Laois (not to be confused with its sister hotel, the Heritage in Portlaoise).

The website is [broken link removed] and if you click on breaks you can see the special offers.

The hotel is gorgeous, you can eat in the upmarket Arlington restaurant (I haven't tried it) or in the Slieve Bloom bar (which I think is better for lunch). The spa & leisure centre is in a building next door to the hotel, and the golf clubhouse next to that. You can also eat in the clubhouse bar or restaurant, very good food (I've eaten there a few times). Also there's a little coffee shop on the ground floor of the clubhouse building.

Also there is an Italian restaurant on site which is very reasonable and food very good, and a pub adjoining which does a carvery lunch.

I'm vegetarian and have found myself very well looked after at the Heritage, was there last June and over the recent Paddy's weekend.

I've done the "Spa Experience" three times now and love it. For 60 euro you can spend 3 hours doing hot & cold. You go into 1 of 5 hot rooms to warm up, then you have a cold (or cool) shower to cool down again. There's an area with footbaths, and a hydrotherapy pool with massage fountain, and a juice bar to keep hydrated. At the end of it you feel so relaxed and laid back. I thought the prices here were reasonable enough compared to what I've seen in some places.

If it's Wicklow you want, Powerscourt Springs might be an option? I haven't stayed there, but have heard great things about it.

Stayed there for 2 nights about 2 years ago.Very nice location.Got some spa treatments.Strawberry restaurant -only had breakfast there.My wife found decor very dark there.While restaurant boasts organic produce I subsequently read a poor review of it,again highlighting dark decor.Avoid weekends to avoid wedding parties. We had cheaper lunch option nearby] Overall decor was nice and bright except for restaurant.
I would recommend Kilashee House hotel in Naas or [ Monart in Enniscorthy, excellent,no kids allowed ,no wedding parties if you are looking for peace and quiet.]

been to the brooklodge (does get busy with weddings) which is lovely, but the spa does suffer from the "being added onto a hotel" feel. I must say for the type of weekend you are looking for I would recommend Powerscourt Springs. I was there with my mother, aunt and grandmother for a weekend and it was wonderful; catered beautifully for vegetarians and is close to some nice scenery and the Avoca Handweavers for the way back. COuldn't believe the difference the extended M50 made - was back home (off N3) in 45 minutes!

Hi all,

thanks for all that feedback. The hotel does sound worth a visit, but maybe not when there is a function on.
I rang the hotel and they have 2 weddings the weekend we plan to stay, so think will give it a miss.
That Heritage hotel looks good too - will look into that option.

Thanks again.
Ragazza.

We visited Brook Lodge on a weekend when there was a wedding on and it didn't take away from the enjoyment of the place. They try to keep the wedding guests in the function room , but of course the guests come out later on into the bar, but that wasn't a problem.
Food is excellent.
Not much to do in the surrounding area.
We liked it very much.

Hi,

just to follow-up.

In the end we have booked 'Monart' in Enniscorthy for our weekend. The hotel gets very good feedback on TripAdvisor, and the spa looks lovely.

A few people had mentioned Powerscourt - we did think about going there too, but I was there with my mum last year, so we decided to go for somewhere different.

Cheers,
Ragazza.