Broken roof tiles

ree

Can anyone tell me if broken roof tiles will cause a problem letting water in. There's one or two with hairline cracks, and one which I would consider badly broken, it's cracked the whole way through. Builder is saying hairline ones will not cause a problem and he can't remove broken one without braking others and that he'll seal it with silicone. I'm not in the habit of telling people how to do they're jobs and know nothing about roof tiles but it sounds like he couldn't be bothered doing it. Need replies on this as builder is finishing up in next couple of days and if this has to be sorted I want it done before I pay him.

sincerely, Ree

I would not accept that from a builder who is just about finishing with his work.
Silicone is a jobber solution.
Hairlines will get worst over time, especially with frost.
He should not have put cracked tiles at the first place, and replace them if he cracked them while working on the roof (even if there are difficult to change as they may be set with cement).

If the crack is running the lenght of the tile then I'd say replace it, if its a bottom corner then it usually overlaps the tile underneath so silicone should do.

BTW, not every tile is nailed so replacing shouldn't be too difficult.

If he uses silcone it might do as you should have a felt lining underneath but how sure are you there isn't a rip in that.

If replacement tiles aren't available then you could cover it in a sheet of lead and shape it over the individual broken tiles - colour isn't great but it will keep the house dry.

get him to replace them as they should have been checked before he put them on...i think he is just being lazy and would question the rest of his workmanship?

So do I go with what the builder is saying or not?
If your talking about one or two with cracks along the lenght of the tiles then insist he changes them, put the ball in his court but I wouldn't be happy with silicone as a repair job.

Edited to add - If he refuses - get onto a roof tiler and get an estimate and deduct the price from the builder's final bill, give the builder a copy of the estimate with your final payment.

Thanks for input. Have told him to replace them. No final payment until he does. He's not happy but I am.
ree

Back