Broadford, Ballinteer

clann

Just wondering what this area is like. Going to view a few houses in this estate. How far is it to the nearest luas stop

Thanks

It's a fairly large estate with a mix of houses. A fair walk from Ballinteer to Dundrum to get the Luas but you may be able to cut through the adjoining housing estates. Thirty years ago I lived in Ballinteer, never really liked the place. However having said that Marlay park is close bye www.wicklowway.com and you are also close to Nutgrove shopping centre and Dundrum shopping centre, with its cinemas etc. The m50 is just up the road. The 48a bus will bring you in to town.

Hi Clann

I'm from Ballinteer - that estate is grand as far as I know. Nice area, near Marlay Park like Grizzly said. The Luas is quite a walk away though - the nearest one would be Balally or Dundrum (depending on whether you could cut through the estates) but quite a trek either way. The 48A and 14 can bring you to the Luas at Dundrum. Getting on at Dundrum can be a bit of a nightmare sometimes though.

It's handy for the pub as well although the Superquinn is going downhill fast.

M

Im from Broadford and my parents are still living there, and have been for the past 30 years! No problems in the area whatsoever.............would love to have stayed living there myself but couldnt afford it!

Everyone else has given you the correct info re the Luas and buses etc.....

Hi Clann, we spent about a year looking at houses and in terms of the size, space, location and the intagible 'feeling that a place gives you' we found Ballinteer to be right for us.

It's near the M50, it is 20 minutes walk to Ballally Luas stop. That walk is through some housing estates but they are nice estates and my girlfriend and i have had no problems. Traffic is getting worse as more and more apartments are being built on the road to dundrum from m50.

If you look at a good map and do the groundwork Broadford is surrounded by good areas and parks. There are no bad areas too close by. I have a garda friend who told me there are many guards living in the area.

So that's transport and safety.

I didn't like the place when I first saw it the houses are often grey and non symetrical because of the bathroom window at the front (side). But once I saw one or two that had been well decorated and with nice gardens I saw the potential. We have a 3 bed on and the rooms all have great dimensions compared to apartments or new houses. The houses were built in the '70s so hence the look , the great big windows (lots of light) but we found ours a little cold in the winter (at the hall/stairs/gable end). So we changed the insulation in the attic ourselves (eur < 250) and we may well get cavity wall insulation done.

It's a very mature area and very well maintained. I thought it was full of retired folk but was happy to see a good mixture of age groups in the place.

You mentioned a number of houses for sale, it's a large estate and there will allways be a natural comings and goings. But I am not aware of any problem with the area.

As for prices thats a different debate. Value is all relative. I think they are at about 575K these days? Maybe you can confirm that.

I agree with the comment on SQ it appears to be in decline and there have been posts on this site suggested it being redeveloped for what purpose I don't know. I agree about the bus info also.

Feel free to ask for more info or pm.

MAJJ

Thanks for all the reply's. Does seem like a really nice area and is close to most amenities

Lived there for a long time (parents still there). As above for the questions you asked, everything pretty much near by.
Its a large estate, and the house designs can be different from one end to the other.

Lived in Broadford in the 70's. I used to return there frequently over the years to visit friends. Nice place to live. It has all the basics for a good community, church, primary schools, secondary schools, community centre, gaelscoil, shops, pubs...True, Superquinn is in decline - I think it might be feeling the pinch from Dundrum Centre - and I would guess that they may develop the land for apt's. But on the plus side I hear that LIDL are moving into the old Glaxo place opposite Marlay Park. (Perhaps others can confirm this). As regards the distance to the LUAS it is a good walk to the Balally stop - but only a short cycle!

If I had the means I wouldn't hesitate buying there. Best of Luck.

They are, work has already started on it when i last drove past.

Would second everything that has been said about Broadford so far, very nice area, good mix of young and more 'mature' families. Sports amenities clos eby in Marlay park and the football pitch. I know a few people who have children in the nearby school and again have heard very positive things about it. Nutgrove is also being massivley re-developed, work has started on re-building a new shopping centre on the old HB ice cream factory site.

We have alot of family in the area and would both live there like a shot could we afford it!