Broadband

P

padam@shomar

I have broadband by radio link. When I connect laptop direct to modem speeds are very fast but when I introduce a wireless router the speed varies from good to no connection at all.

Broadband

Maybe there is interference on the 2.4GHz band (e.g. other wireless LANs, microwave ovens, TV signal/digi-senders, baby monitors etc.) from your house or your neighbours' houses that are affecting your wireless LAN? Maybe the construction of the house is blocking the signal? Try channels 1, 6 and 11 alternately on the router and see if there is any improvement. Make sure that you have the latest firmware for your router and the latest drivers correctly configured for your wireless network adaptor in the laptop.

Note that the fact that your broadband is wireless has no direct relevance to how you distribute your LAN signals (wired or wireless).

Re: ClubMan/broadband problems

There are two other wireless LANs. One in the house and one from the neighbours.
The router is a Belkin and is new. How do I configure the drivers for the wireless network adaptor in the (fairly old) laptop.
The laptop worked ok on the old much slower system.

You could try manually changing the channel settings in security ..

There are two other wireless LANs. One in the house and one from the neighbours.
Well it will help to configure yours to avoid clashing with these for a start although that may not be the fundamental problem. Use NetStumbler to find out what channels these are on and choose another channel. Bear in mind that only 1, 6 and 11 are theoretically non overlapping (e.g. choosing 10 when your neighbour is on 11 will not help that much). If your neighbours are both on 11 or 1 then you should choose 1 or 11 respectively to keep "as far away as possible" from them. Obviously you could all cooperate together to keep your respective wireless LANs from interfering with each other - e.g. neighbour on right on 1, you on 6 and neighbour on left on 11 etc.