Broadband without line connection

H

healocks

I would like to get broadband for my laptop but currently do not have a landline and do not wish to get one either.

Is it only broadband.ie that do the wireless connection ?

Are there any other options as i've heard that there service is not what it should be.

Thanks

There are non landline broadband alternatives other than wireless including cable, satellite, 3G data SIM wireless (or whatever it's called) etc. See the links in for more on availability, pricing, user feedback etc. on broadband alternatives on offer.

Do you have NTL.

I'm getting Broadband installed on saturday morning through my NTL. Then i'm disconnecting the phone line as I never use it.

i have the basic ntl tv package.

i contacted them and gave my address and they said that broadband was not available in my area yet which is D2, which i find hard to believe !

would you still not have to pay for the phone line rental even though you have disconnected it ?

what is the story with ntl broadband can you get that through their digital package ?

i contacted them and gave my address and they said that broadband was not available in my area yet which is D2, which i find hard to believe !

Don't be surprised. I'm in Dublin 7 just bordering Dublin 1 and it's not available either. However it is available to other family members at the other end of Dublin 7.

would you still not have to pay for the phone line rental even though you have disconnected it ?

I presume that Mrs DC means that she'll have the line disconnected altogether as opposed to simply unplugging the phone from the socket!

what is the story with ntl broadband can you get that through their digital package ?

I think that you have to take their basic package at least with the broadband offer. However, as I mentioned earlier, they don't yet offer it in all parts of Dublin. See for a little more related info.

Yes, I'm completely disconnecting the phone line. Our rental is about €50 every two months and our calls are around €4. If I reconnect within 2 years, the charge is only €24.99

We have the basic ntl package and the broadband is going through that. We're in the lucan area.

was onto ntl and its definitely not an option .

looks like i'll give the ripwave a go.

thanks for the help

looks like i'll give the ripwave a go.

Note that as opposed to has met with mixed end user experience and the Irish Broadband rep I was talking to recently said he regrets them ever rolling it out as a product due to the headaches it's caused (not literally!).

Seems i cant get ripwave in mount st lower. Can only get breeze.

Might actually look into landline now to see if anything cheaper

I was wondering if the ripwave service has improved at all since it was launched?

Anyone here using it?

We're using a 3Mbps 6:1 contention ratio (i.e. >= 512Kbps guaranteed per user) link from IBB at the moment. Sometimes we get most or all of the 3Mbps link to ourselves. The link is supposed to be symmetric (which is what we need) but the upload path is significantly slower than the download path (usually well below 512Kbps). We have contacted IBB support about this several times but they have not bothered to address our queries. As with our previous IBB experience (on 1Mbps dedicated Breeze) we have noticed that the throughput can vary significantly and we have had one complete outage (due to a misconfiguration of their servers at HQ causing all routing to fail - i.e. the radio link was OK but traffic was stopping at HQ) in three months. It's great when it works (other than the lack of symmetry which is something that we need as we are uploading large chunks of data to the US) but as before we have found it to be of variable quality and the support leaves a lot to be desired. We are switching to a leased line in the next few weeks.

I mentioned this before but, a few months ago, when I asked the IBB rep. about Ripwave he basically threw his eyes to heaven, sighed and said that he regretted them ever launching it as a product due to the problems and support burden that it has generated. Check out the boards.ie broadband forum for some first hand experiences of this and other broadband services.

Just contacted NTL about Broadband - they don't have broadband in D6 (Milltown) either????

Back