Broadband with monitored alarm

Seagull

Hi
Does anyone know what the best solution is for getting broadband when I have a monitored alarm? What do I need to do?

Thanks

the only solution available is irish broadband or if you are one of the lucky ones NTL broadband....but youmust be in either Dublin Waterford or Galway

ClubMan said:
This is not true - see this boards.ie thread.

Couldn't get the thread to display in Firefox for some reason but it may be a local problem.

The bottom line is there is no problem at all with a monitored alarm and broadband.

You just need to ensure you have DSL filters on all appropriate phone sockets.

After self-insalling broadband, you can get eircom Phonewatch to do a dial in test in order to ensure they can still talk to the device.

I suspect that the reason the broadband suppliers don't promote or seem willing to allow a self-install in this case is due to insurance - if you break the monitored phone watch facility and there is a problem, you could sue them.

My advice: don't tell them you have a monitored alarm. Just be careful installing the filters and get phonewatch to double check.

And you might as well read the guide in boards.ie as well. :)

I have eircom Broadband and I also have an eircom monitored alarm. They installed a broadband splitter box. Prior to installing the box, the system worked perfectly by using dsl filters, but they said that the splitter box was worth getting to ensure that both Broadband and the monitored alarm system would work in every possible situation.

Marion

I have Esat BT broadband and ADT monitored alarm - no problems so far. I plugged the filters myself following the instructions, no installation for Esat was necessary.

MonsieurBond said:
Couldn't get the thread to display in Firefox for some reason but it may be a local problem.

Must be - it displays fine in FireFox v1.0.4 for me on two different PCs/broadband connections.

ClubMan said:
Must be - it displays fine in FireFox v1.0.4 for me on two different PCs/broadband connections.

I have upgraded to V1.0.4. and it works fine.

However, I suspect that the reason the page didn't come up on Friday afternoon was more to do with the fact that everyone in work was surfing the net and using up all the bandwidth! :)

Thanks for the responses.

Seaflower - my alarm is also with ADT, and I was looking at BT broadband. Did you need to do anything to make sure that the connection for the monitoring went through a filter? When they installed the alarm, they just spliced the wires onto the existing line, there's no separate jack for it.

I found ADT extremely unhelpful about this. They basically said they knew nothing about what was needed from their perspective, and weren't going to do anything to help.

Hi Seagull, I'm not 100% sure I understand your question. We got the alarm few years back and the broadband last month, so not sure how the alarm is installed - no wires/jacks visible to me. The BT filters came in the post so I plugged them myself (had some problems as I wanted the phone downstairs and the Inet upstairs, and didnt want cables hanging aroudn the house, so the single filter is downstairs next to the phone, double one is upstairs in the office with only broadband cable). Haven't contacted ADT to ask them if that's ok, as I didnt know it may cause a problem, but the alarm hasn't been off since.

Having said that I have to mention we don't switch it on every day as we have a cat, and the technicians never found a suitable solution as to how to keep the cat indoors with the alarm.

Hope this helps! Let me know if it was something else you were asking.

Seagull said:
Thanks for the responses.
I found ADT extremely unhelpful about this.

I know this is a topic for a different thread, but I found them very unhelpful in general! Got stuck in a 3-year contrct with them after stupidly signing a contract with a salesman at the door (never again!) and have had only problems with their cutomer care since. Can't wait for the summer to cancel it!:mad:

Hi seaflower
I was wondering whether you had done anything to ensure that the alarm went through a filter, or if you had just ignored it.

Thanks

I just ignored it. I don't even know where the alarm is connected; plugged the filter at the main socket to which the phone is connected. What is the problem you are having with the alarm? Does it go off, or ADT told you you can't do it?

I don't actually have broadband yet. Before ordering broadband, I wanted to see whether anyone had experienced the same issues, and got past them.
My concern was driven by the broadband providers rather than ADT. If you look at their websites, they all have comments about monitored alarms. BT customer service were quite helpful in explaining various issues. I was told that they didn't know whether the monitored alarm would cause issues, that depends on the equipment ADT use. BT also said that their engineers couldn't do anything by way of installing a splitter or filter on the alarm, as that belonged to ADT. I then got back to ADT, and got absolutely no assistance.

I see... Sorry can't be of any help, I didn't even know it may cause problems, therefore haven't asked anybody and just plugged the filters according to the instructions, as if there was no alarm. If you are getting the free broadband trial, it's probably worth a try to see if it is OK for you too, and if not - to cancel it. Good luck!

Thanks. I'll try ignoring the alarm, and hope both the broadband and the alarm work when I'm done.

Back