Broadband Wireless Router

Jockey

Hi Everyone,

Can someone please explain something to me? If i buy a wireless router for my PC does that mean say for example that someone else can use a laptop in my house at the same time?

Jockey...

A wireless router usually connects to your (e.g. DSL) broadband modem and so makes your broadband connection available for sharing by wireless enabled computers in the vicinity. You may also be able to connect directly between two computers connected wirelessly to the same router (i.e. wireless Local Area Network access between computers on your LAN). To prevent just anybody (e.g. neighbours etc.) using your broadband connection via your wireless router you should ensure that the appropriate security settings are enabled on the router (e.g. WEP or WPA/PSK, maybe MAC address filtering, change the default administrator password, disable wireless administration etc.).

Does that help?

Hi Everyone,

Can someone please explain something to me? If i buy a wireless router for my PC does that mean say for example that someone else can use a laptop in my house at the same time?

Jockey...

Yes. they can use your router if you let them.

However, When you install the router it sets it as secure, or unsecure.
for secure: You get a WEP authentication key with the router or from your broadband company at registration (its usually on a sticker on the back of the router when you buy it if its over-the-counter).

All you have to do is give that WEP key (e.g. 102e933a409), the router name (mine is BT_router20124), to the 'other' person in the house with a laptop, and set their encryption settion to WEP64.. Trouble is that you are both using the same bandwidth.

If you ever switch ur laptop on in an airport or the center of town you will see a large list of both.

One thing you can do is to buy a FON router. Basically, this allows you to have WPA type security for your main laptop, but lets you give guest usernames/passwords to your guests. You also get to be part of the FON network, and you can get a revenue share from guest users of your router if you want. It's also pretty cheap.

http://www.fon.com/

I have a laptop which is three and a half years old, but which is on its way out - memory almost used up, much slower now, speakers sound terrible. I am going to buy a desktop, because I now have a study at home. I have been working off wireless broadband, but what I would like to know is do desktops nowadays have the capability to use wireless network without physical connection, and can I also still use my existing laptop for a bit of surfing or emailing in other areas of the house?

One thing you can do is to buy a FON router. Basically, this allows you to have WPA type security for your main laptop, but lets you give guest usernames/passwords to your guests. You also get to be part of the FON network, and you can get a revenue share from guest users of your router if you want. It's also pretty cheap.

http://www.fon.com/

I have one of these, great value and it might come in useful giving me free WiFi elsewhere in the world in the future.

On Fon

Doesn't seem to be much coverage in Ireland.

Is this a router or just some software.

I have been working off wireless broadband, but what I would like to know is do desktops nowadays have the capability to use wireless network without physical connection, and can I also still use my existing laptop for a bit of surfing or emailing in other areas of the house?

You can get a wireless card for your desktop which will plug into the USB port, and that will let you connect wirelessly, or the card can be installed internally in the machine. There should be no problem with using both computers to wirelessly connect to a wifi router which will in turn be connected to your modem.

Back