Broadband sharing range ?

T

TinpotTimmy

Hi There,

I am getting wireless broadband in after Christmas.

I want to share with 2 of my neighbours who are approximately 200 ft away from my house approx. I was thinking of buying the following 54 mbps wireless router, seems to have good range 200 metres. for 45 euro. Is there better value out there with better reliability with increased range.

[broken link removed]

I was thinking the 1 MB package BT had the best deal for me always on bb & phone for 45 euro basic package.

I am in a rural border area. There is a fence between us on both sides. Will this interfere with the transmission of the wifi between the houses

Any help would be much appreciated.

Tinpot

You will probably find that the 200 metre range does not take iinto account obstructions and interference. You might not achieve this - still, even if you don't, the worst will be that your neighbours can leech off, sorry, share, your broadband. Although being rural, you might get away with it. I doubt the fence will make much difference, assuming it is wood.

I also think that 1Gig Broadband might not be enough if you are sharing as, again, you don't actualy get a whole gigabit per second of download speed and what you do get may end up being shared with your neighbours (if you are successful in hooking them up).

Still, you might as well start with the cheapest package and see how you go from there.

In terms of kit, I would recommend Netgear or Linksys. You can also buy signal boosters i.e. wireless repeaters - your neighbours could buy one each to boost the signal strength.

LOL...yes with lots of ppl using it at the same time 1Mb/s will probably seem pretty slow as the speed will be divided.

1 gigabit? Im sure it's 1Mbit. If it is id like that for €45. Also watch the d/l caps. (ie. some companies limit your downloads to a certain amount of datas per month, mine is a 16GByte per month limit) Again with more peopleusing it the limit will be reached in a fraction of the time.

If u want my honest opinion, it might be better to get your neighbours to get off their asses and get their own BB. Because it may save you a Small Claims Court fee in the future due to them not wanting to pay fees for exceeding the monthly allowance, and/or even the usage of it in the first place.

Legal problems notwithstanding, if you purchase a router with removable antennas you should be able to replace one or more with a higher gain omni-directional. Your neighbours can make some cheapo yagis or purchase grid type antennas for relatively little. http://stelladoradus.com/ is a good source for all the bits and pieces you might need.

LOL...yes with lots of ppl using it at the same time 1Mb/s will probably seem pretty slow as the speed will be divided.

I think I made this point already.

1 gigabit? Im sure it's 1Mbit. If it is id like that for €45.

My mistake. 'Twas the tink drawking.

Most BB suppliers don't actually charge for exceeding bandwidth, they just reserve the right to do so. Still, Snakebit is probably right that the neighbours should probably just get their own Broadband.

Mind you, hot spot sharing works well in the US, so it's not that a bad idea...

I think I made this point already

Sorry Bond, I didn't read your full post, maybe i will in future. Or maybe not usually i just buffer posts.

MonsieurBond said:
Most BB suppliers don't actually charge for exceeding bandwidth, they just reserve the right to do so. Still, Snakebit is probably right that the neighbours should probably just get their own Broadband.

It would save alot of hassle. I think.

MonsieurBond said:
Mind you, hot spot sharing works well in the US, so it's not that a bad idea...

I'd say you'd have to have alot of trust in your neighbours to do so...

Hi Folks,

Thanks for all the replies. Very helpful. My neighbours are cousins so should be alright that way but ye never know these days !

What about the Belkin Pre-N Router ? Has anyone got experience of the extent of the range for this router ? I believe they have an N Router or something similar in the pipeline. I have seen reviews which mention up to 300 ft ? Could this be true ? How would it be thru the fence ? Might have to take down the fence or put a hole in it.

Thanks again, Tinpot

FWIW-UTV certainly charged me when I exceeded my monthly download allowance.