Broadband selection

andrea

Im getting broadband in and am tied between 2 packages. Due to my location, I can get either eircom or esat/bt.

Eircoms start pack is 29.99 plus line rental at 24.99 for a 1mb line and 4gb a month cap.
Esat is 40e per month for BB for a 1mb line but that includes line rental, plus a 12gb cap.

Its a no-brainer to go with esat based on the above info that Ive just taken from their websites. Am I missing something? Should I ask about anything in particular when I ring them to confirm the above info?

The Esat Eur15 offer is for the first 4 months only - then it moves up to Eur30 a month I believe.

If you can get Eircom/Esat then I presume you can get any broadband service such as UTV - once they are tied to your "eircom" phoneline.

If you can get NTL their Eur25 a month cable broadband is in my opinion more reliable and you get free installation and the first 4 months free - and it is not capped for usage at all.

I want to get broadband in at home at the moment also. Because of a lack of telephone outlets in the house I am considering getting wireless, is Eircom the way to go on this? Any other thoughts?

you can get anyone's broadband service as normal - then attach a wireless router to send the signal round the house.

I cant get ntl in due to location. I just rang eircom, 24.50 every month rental and 24.99 broadband which is the guts of 50e for a basic 1mb line. Esat will do a 2mb line plus line rental for a flat 50e (reduced to 35e for first 4 months but Im looking long term and eircom give entry inducements too so Im basing comparisons on flat rates).

I rang eircom back and asked was it as simple as that to make that comparison, the sales person got a bit snotty and said she couldnt comment on other companies practices and theyre happy with their product yadayada...
I really think Im missing something.

andrea said:
I cant get ntl in due to location. I just rang eircom, 24.50 every month rental and 24.99 broadband which is the guts of 50e for a basic 1mb line. Esat will do a 2mb line plus line rental for a flat 50e (reduced to 35e for first 4 months but Im looking long term and eircom give entry inducements too so Im basing comparisons on flat rates).

I rang eircom back and asked was it as simple as that to make that comparison, the sales person got a bit snotty and said she couldnt comment on other companies practices and theyre happy with their product yadayada...
I really think Im missing something.

I don't think you are really missing much. The one and only potential drawback I can see with Esat is that if something goes wrong which requires an engineer it can be complicated as Esat may have to get on to Eircom to do the work so there is potential for blame shifting between the two companies with you caught in the middle.

BT have the best offer @ €40 per month including line rental, with a 6 month contract. (most others have a 12 month contract)

However their customer service is terrible. Took me 2 months to get connected as they lost my order twice & kept blaming the delay on eircom. So be prepared to ring everyday to get the status of your order.

For wireless (no phone line) this is the best offer if you can get coverage....

I have been trying to switch line rental and broadband from Eircom to BT for the past two months and it's still not done - no explanations from BT as to what's happening - I finally got a letter from BT today saying that they had switched the phone line over but the broadband is still with Eircom- hopefully BT won't find some reason not to provide broadband as that would leave me split between the two companies - the only reason for switching the phone line over was for the inclusive E40 deal

Back