Broadband Query & Recomendation

jello1000

Evening All,

Just wondering if someone could help with the following.

I currently have broadband at home on one pc and need to extend it to a second in another room. For the moment setting up a network & linking the two comuters is not an option. What I wish to know is;

Is it possible to connect the 2nd computer in such a way that it can avail of the broadband connection on the first computer, without incurring any extra cost? If so, what would be the best way to set this arrangement up?

Are there other options available that could achieve the same?

All replies welcome

Regards,

Have a look elsewhere in this section (probably on the second page now for extensive threads on wireless networking. This will sort you out.

Hi Tallpaul,

Thanks for replying. Have been looking through some previous thread and found alot. But I need to set something up quickly on a temporary basis until I arrange a more permenant solution. Do you have any ideas?

Thanks again

Regards,

jello1000 said:
Hi Tallpaul,

Thanks for replying. Have been looking through some previous thread and found alot. But I need to set something up quickly on a temporary basis until I arrange a more permenant solution. Do you have any ideas?

Thanks again

Regards,

jello1000

You probably have two options: buy a wireless modem/router (I see Dixon's are selling a D-Link modem/router for €99 which I bought a month ago for €120 :( ) and if your other computer has a wi-fi card, it will automatically pick up the broadband signal.

The other, very much less favourable option is to link the two PC's together using a cable but unless it is a veeeerryy long cable, the machines will be practically side by side.

Incidentally, as an aside, my wife received her new laptop on Monday and it already has the 802.11g wi-fi card installed. When switched on, we were able to choose from 3 wireless networks where we live!!!

If you connect the 2nd computer to the 1st then you are setting up some kind of network even if it is only peer to peer. You cannot do it without buying some piece of equipment (even if it is just a cable). If both PCs are reasonably new they probably each have ethernet built in so as Tallpall said you could get a really long ethernet cable and connect the 2, if you do this the 1st PC will need to be on whenever you need to access the broadband with the 2nd PC.

The best thing to do IMHO is to buy a wireless router with some ethernet ports and a wireless USB dongle. As you already have 1 computer on BB Im assuming you have an ethernet card in the existing computer, then simply connect via ethernet to new wireless router and use the wireless USB dongle to connect over wireless from the new computer to the wireless router, its a lot less messy than long cables and shoudn't be too much expense.

paddyc said:
The best thing to do IMHO is to buy a wireless router with some ethernet ports and a wireless USB dongle. As you already have 1 computer on BB Im assuming you have an ethernet card in the existing computer, then simply connect via ethernet to new wireless router and use the wireless USB dongle to connect over wireless from the new computer to the wireless router, its a lot less messy than long cables and shoudn't be too much expense.

The D-Link modem/router I mentioned in my previous post comes with a usb dongle, so it is very good value. Dixon's/PC World should be selling them.

Back