Broadband Phones & Filters

IrishGunner

Trying to solve this problem with dsl filters in parents house

Just got broadband

Have 3 phone sockets upstairs, downstairs and attic

Downstairs phone has an answering machine & there is a splitter for this and the phone cords.

Put a filter on the upstairs phone and in the attic, where Pc is connected to. However every time I put the adsl line in at the phone socket beside PC the phones go dead???

Also do I have to use the adsl microfilter and then put the splitter into the tel socket so I can put both the answering machine line and phone line in

confusing I know hope I explained it clearly

anyone help

Uhh, all telephony devices sans the aDSL bridge should be behind a filter. aDSL runs at an inaudible frequency (yes Virginia, it is analogue) and the filters serve to squelch the high-pitched 'squeal'.

As for the instant mortality of the handsets, have you considered the attenuation level in the house? Have you installed all the extra points or was this done 'professionally' by eircom (ROFLMAO!)? It is entirely possible that the line load (impedance) exceeds the line power (extension leads add impedance as do handsets and fax devices).

Irishgunner I had a similar problem which was solved by putting one microfilter at the main phone point coming in to the house i.e the first point of contact and taking all other phone lines from that filter everything working now and didnt need any other filters on any other phone.

Hey Padgerodge

Yeah forgot to post a response

Did that with the main phone line downstairs and it worked

Thing was that I had the adsl v phone splitter. Then I had to put another splitter into the splitter(if you know what I mean) so i could insert the phone line and the answering machine line

Working ok now and parents are on BB

Just waiting on a call from them when the firewall & anti virus software starts d/l updates

Told them to press no to everything but read first ah well maybe my monsters will be doing the same to me.........sorry I ramble