Broadband "Phone Line" ??

Betsy Og

Apart from the internet telephony thing, where VOIP (voice over internet protocol) allows you to talk to someone similarly set up, for a fraction of the cost, I think I recall hearing of some company offering what appered to be a "regular" phone service over broadband. Can anyone confirm??

By "regular" I mean someone could ring you from a regular phone and you could ring a regular phone using broadband.

This would suit me as otherwise installation cost of getting maybe 300 mtrs of eircom cable connected, maybe still not getting broadband with that, and having line rental forevermore.

If could get wireless broadband (that might be a big IF as am 14 miles from nearest city) that gave me a "regular" phone service then would be best all round

076 is the area code for voip in Ireland. A couple of operators will provide you with a "regular" phone no. I believe you can get a regular 01 (or whatever) no. along with the 076 no. for example, have a look at:
www.blueface.ie

I'm not sure I would use this as my sole telephony as I've heard some mixed reports about voip (expecially if you're going to be using a wireless network).
Have a look at boards.ie, they have a forum on voip under technology (I think).

Your most reliable option, if it's available in your area, would be to get NTL Cable Broadband (basic option 25 euro a month with first 3 months free I think) and go with Blueface for your VOIP Dublin landline number - reliable in my experience - but remember in a power cut you lose your line - but everyone has a mobile if that happens.

Podgerodge,
I've currently got broadband with utv, I'm thinking of switching to ntl & blueface but have a few issues.
As it comes in through the cable box will all the phone sockets be useless?
I've got phonelines in all the rooms but with Blueface will I only be able to use the one phone connected to the pc/modem?
The room I have my pc in doesn't have a ntl connection so will I have to run a cable? (not a huge job I know)

Probably stoopid questions.

thanks for that guys, sounds great.

Looks like my biggest challenge will be to get wireless broadband but at least the capital cost to get Eircom in might be converted into investing in a broadband system - I think theres even broadband via satellite

CN624 said:
Podgerodge,
As it comes in through the cable box will all the phone sockets be useless?
I've got phonelines in all the rooms but with Blueface will I only be able to use the one phone connected to the pc/modem?
The room I have my pc in doesn't have a ntl connection so will I have to run a cable? (not a huge job I know)

Yep, phone sockets would be finished with. My solution with Blueface is to have a 3 handset dect cordless system - so the base station is attached to the modem and the other two just connect to the base so you still have phones around the house.

Just because you have NTL TV doesn't mean that NTL broadband is available - check this first. If it is, NTL will bring a connection to your pc room themselves - in my house they brought cable up the side of the house behind a gutter to an upstairs boxroom where the pc was.

Betsy Og said:

Looks like my biggest challenge will be to get wireless broadband but at least the capital cost to get Eircom in might be converted into investing in a broadband system - I think theres even broadband via satellite

By all accounts VOIP services like Blueface will not work over satellite. Satellite broadband has an extra fraction of a second delay which might not be a big problem for web browsing email etc. but completely screws up VOIP services (and online gaming).

VOIP over wireless is doable, reports are mixed as a lot will depend on the quality of your Wireless internet provider. I personally use VOIP with wireless and find it fine but my wireless ISP is reasonably stable (I'm not in Ireland). Some of the Irish ones are notoriously bad but there are some new ones on the scene who might work out.

Betsy Og said:

Presumably you are going to try to get NTL broadband instead?

podgerodge said:
Presumably you are going to try to get NTL broadband instead?

Am in the sticks so zero prospect of cable.

I could pay to get Eircom cable down (it comes to within 300M or so of house) - but quite a bummer if that couldnt deliver broadband which could well be the case as my nearest exchange is, I think, about 2 miles away.

Even if Eircom broadband worked I understand I'd still be stuck with line rental - not sure how that compares with wireless broadband provider fee, might be the same difference.

So my only option of saving the risky capital cost of getting the eircom cable down is to go wireless - if Eircom was guranteed to work I would probably suffer the capital cost.

Mobile coverage isnt great at the house so I dont know if that is a direct indicator of whether wireless broadband would work.

I am using blueface over wireless BB (512K/256K) and am delighted wiht it.Currently in the process of porting my old landline number over, before I say bye bye to eircom completely. Cost:-

Current Eircom Cost: 25 quid rental + 10 quid euphone unlimited landline +17 quid euphony 100 mobile minutes, plus about an extra 10 to 15 quid plus 10 quid internet dial up (line to crappy to use it properly)on additional mobile minutes and international/uk. Total cost lets say 75 quid pm

New Blueface costs:- 40 quid BB package from local wireless BB company (might drop to 30 soon fingys crossed) +15 quid blueface irl/uk landline unlimmted, plus 15 quid approx additional mobile and internation (mobiles onlu cost 16c p/m, my UK international calls are free, and my sister in switzerland cost 1c pe min!!!). Total cost approx 70 quid pm, and I have BB!!!! will drop to 70 quid pm one my ISP drops his price. On top of this, no phone bills, as apart from the 15 euro per month call plan, the rest works liek prepay, without the hiogher costs like mobile prepay. Total amagament of your costs!!

With regards the use of existing phone sockets, you can actually re-use them if you plan it correctly. If you place your wireless router or ata adapter next to your existing main telephone socket, you can wire into this from your ATA by bastardising a standard telephone cable. Very easy, there is only two wires, and then you effectively have the same distribution as you had with Eircom, just make sure you are not connecting to eircoms network, and that you dont have too many devices working off your ata (there is a limit even with LL as to the number of devises you can have, 4 I think). To be hones though the Dect phone idea is a better way to go in the long run.

Also, forget about fax machines, they wont work ofer a voip line.
Wexfordman

Back