Broadband options

hansov

Folks: Toying around with the idea of getting a broadband connection at home - so what are my options? Irishbroadband is not available to me as I am outside a coverage area (believe it or not there is only a segment of Lucan, Co. Dublin covered!). My phone billing is with UTV (eircom line) but have alarm monitoring so I don't want to complicate my alarm. Ntl is another possibility. Anybody got any ideas before I enter into a 12-month contract that I might regret? h

See the links contained in this thread. There are many other threads dealing with broadband options both here and on boards.ie that might be of use to you.

NTL is the best IMO.

2MB line for 12 months (you only pay 9 months as the first 3 are free) with free installation. Prices are being reduced to 30 euro per month I believe too, down from 35 euro per month.

NTL for sure, in a few months all their standard speeds will upgrade to 10MB. The 3MB already has upgraded (at least in NI). Decent prices, good service, despite the bad rep,two of my friends had problems with their modems and got them replaced free of charge within a week.

NTL - it's your only man! Had it for the last two years and in that time it has only broken down for a total of two hours and that was at 1 am on Saturday night.

UTV has been good enough for us................family of 6................broadband & all that jazz..........they might call it clicksilver...
regards

SteelBlue05 said:
NTL is the best IMO.

2MB line for 12 months (you only pay 9 months as the first 3 are free) with free installation. Prices are being reduced to 30 euro per month I believe too, down from 35 euro per month.

Also, with cable (ntl) you could dispense with eircom line rental and move telephony to VOIP, such as skype or blueface.

A very considerable saving!!!

Brian4B said:
UTV has been good enough for us................family of 6................broadband & all that jazz..........they might call it clicksilver...
regards

UTV seem reasonable enough for most (but if NTL were available I'd still go for them) but if you think you will jump wholeheartedly into the broadband experience and quickly become a heavy downloader beware that they are the only one of the 3 main DSL players (Eircom & BT being the other 2) that actively enforce and charge for exceeding the download caps.

We used UTV for our voice traffic for quite some time, but switching to Skytel saved us a fortune

DAM 099............ I take your point re limits. We have yet to exceed limits; UTV allow an option to cap access / pay , once limit is reached.

Well, I'm sitting here polishing my shotgun and getting ready to go postal down at my local NTL offices.

I subscribed to NTL's Digital TV and Broadband deal in early November, as stated earler it looks like a great offer. However, the guy came and put in the points and then informed me that he could not get the digital or broadband working. He said the basic cable tv was working and would be able to get the upgrade done in a few days. Next thing I know he phones me and tells me that the area needs upgrading and this will take a few weeks. Now, that should have been early December at the latest but I still do not have NTL Digital or Broadband.

I've phoned and the Customer Service Reps keep telling me that it takes 2 to 3 weeks to upgrade an area. When I explain the time is well and truly over they just say that I will have to wait for a technician to phone.

What are my rights with this issue?
Can I just cancel the contract as I never received that which I asked for?
If they do install it can I demand that I get my contract to start from then as I'm meant to be getting free Digital for a year and obviously have not done so to-date?

Thanks,

Frustrated.

I enquired about NTL as well, but they told me it wasn't available in my area yet (Rathmines), so I went with eircom at the time, because none of the others were really available (I did not want a satellite dish) or would only do 1 yr minimum contracts.

I think in your case, NTL or non-phone related providers are the only go, as since you have phone watch I think you'd have to go with eircom (which are not the cheapest) and you need a technician to do it for you.