Broadband no-mans land

quinno

Searched back through forums & sticky posts, couldn't find anything relating specific to my query, but I'm sure I'm not the only one with this problem. My problem is I've appeared to fall into no-man's land between UTV & Eircom for broadband. Here's the story:

Recently had broadband activated by utv (Clicksilver) - got modem, cables, install disk etc, confirmation email from utv, spoke to techs there and confirmed everything their end ok. The problem is I get 'Acquiring Network address' on my modem - forever. Gone through all the set ups (automatically allocates IP address, checked connection with both Ethernet & USB, they are both picking up the modem (100 meg & 2 meg respectively) but the same error). I'm fairly computer literate, so checked all the obvious things. Tried pinging, ipconfig in command window. Still nothing.

UTV tells me there was some Eircom upgrade works in my area (D15), and I noticed this mentioned in some other posts, it may have been affecting connection. However, 2 weeks later & still no joy. UTV suggested I ring Eircom - the'y've told me line is ok, will require €60 to come and check phone point.

So situation is - Eircom say phone line is ok, UTV say broadband is ok and I'm paying these two for a service I don't have. Other than getting two techs out from Eircom and UTV at my house and bash it out (which is obviously not going to happen!!), any one any ideas?

Few questions:

I have Norton Antivirus 2003, Windows XP Prof, Spyware Doctor, Windows Firewall, Spybot search & destroy - anyone any experience with these causing issues i.e. blocking access?

Phone point - my main eircom phone point is working - can make / receive calls, line passes DSL test, DSL light on constant on modem. No crackling / echos on line. Personally, I think this is the culprit. Checked wiring and seems ok - dial up works ok through this point.

Thanks

quinno said:
Phone point - my main eircom phone point is working - can make / receive calls, line passes DSL test, DSL light on constant on modem. No crackling / echos on line. Personally, I think this is the culprit. Checked wiring and seems ok - dial up works ok through this point.

Thanks

Your dsl light is on? That means your line is synching so it is not a line problem I'd guess..can you borrow someone's modem?

jdwex

Thanks for that - I don't habe anyone I can borrow a modem from, but will see if UTV will send one if this goes on. I fiddled a bit with my PC last night and got another step along the line (it is a second hand one a mate got me). I turned on all the 'services' within the system folder, so the PC is finding the modem and I get a log in screen and an IP number is allocated, at least that's something. I have a steady DSL light, but when I run the 'troubleshooting' in the log-in, it tells me there is an 'ADSL line error' (something like that, not at PC at the moment). So I reckon it might be a dodgy phone line / connection somewhere - Eircom tell me the line is ok, so I might have to stump out the €60 to get an Eircom tech to check out the phone connection point.

quinno said:
jdwex

Thanks for that - I don't habe anyone I can borrow a modem from, but will see if UTV will send one if this goes on. I fiddled a bit with my PC last night and got another step along the line (it is a second hand one a mate got me). I turned on all the 'services' within the system folder, so the PC is finding the modem and I get a log in screen and an IP number is allocated, at least that's something. I have a steady DSL light, but when I run the 'troubleshooting' in the log-in, it tells me there is an 'ADSL line error' (something like that, not at PC at the moment). So I reckon it might be a dodgy phone line / connection somewhere - Eircom tell me the line is ok, so I might have to stump out the €60 to get an Eircom tech to check out the phone connection point.

Are you using the supplied filter?
What is the make of modem?
if you hget an ip address , are you able to bring up a web site?
if not, when you say your pc gets an ip, does it start with 10.xxx or 192.168.xx?
Trying to figure out your setup there :)
jd

Thanks again for the reply

Using modem with / without filter (UTV suggested fgiving it a try without filter, in case it's a dodgy one, tried another one as well), but still get DSL signal (solid) whether filter is used or not & have all phones plugged out.

Modem is BT Voyager 205, using it with both USB & Ethernet and get same results with each - I disable each one & reboot before swapping over, so I always only have one physical connection between PC & modem.

Can get an IP address ok, think it's 192.168.1.1, can log in on modem (it brings up a log in - accepts username & password), but then nothing - it just freezes. I'll have a fiddle about with it later and see if I can get any life out of it.

It's just that I've heard some real horror stories gettring DSL sorted - hopefully, I'm not in for the long haul getting it going - even Eircom seem to struggle where there's only Eircom Phone & BB to deal with, never mind the hope you have when it's a different BB supplier....

Thanks again

Ok-
Is there a web interface to the modem? I'd have my suspicions about the modem TBH. The 192 number is what is assigned by the modem to your computer. I'dd like to know is your modem getting an ip address assigned by UTV. Also - doe you put in xxx@utv or similar as your username? and what do you mean your modem freezes

I have it set up to 'automatically allocate an IP Address' in the network settings. TBH, not at the actual PC (it's at home), so can't remember the IP address allocated by UTV. As far as I know, they them allocate an IP address - would it be similar to 192.168.1.1, but with 4 at the end (i.e. 192.168.1.4), or would it be something totally different?

Modem freezing is probably the wrong description - here's what happens:

when I enter '192.168.1.1' or 'voyager.home' in the address bar of MSE it brings up a login in screen, it accepts my login / password OK (xxxx@adsl.utvinternet.ie), but when I enter any website I get 'cannot connect to server' and a blank page (with advice as to how to check connections / settings - gone through all this) comes up. All, the time, the modem icon is bottom right and blinking, it says it is connected at 2 Mps.

There is a 'troubleshooting' screen in the modem login - tried this - runs 5 tests, first 2 go ok (green text on screen says 'passed'), 3rd says something like 'ADSL line error' - that makes me thin it's either the phone line or the modem itself. It then checks the 4th and 5th test - but these take forever (never got past 4th test).

ok
The modem is giving your computer an ip address, and the modem light is on. That doesn't mean you are getting a dsl connection-just that you are talking to the modem.

Setup is something like

UTV---UTV IPADDRESS|ROUTER IP ('192.168.1.1')---computerIP(192.168.1.4)

What lights are lit on the "modem"

And on that web page '192.168.1.1' - can you see any further info..

Does it say dsl up anywhere?

Can you see advanced settings on that web page?

The default user password to admin the router is admin/admin (I thought)

What lights are lit on the "modem" - Power, DSL, Ethernet / USB (depending on what's connected). All green, steady / no flickering.

And on that web page '192.168.1.1' - can you see any further info. - will have to look later, will post later here.

Does it say dsl up anywhere? - on webpage / login? No don't think so.

Can you see advanced settings on that web page? - Think theres an option for advanced.

The default user password to admin the router is admin/admin (I thought) - not sure, but I'll try it. I can administer with my username / password, AFAIK.

Thanks again for help - I'll have a gawk at the PC when I go home, and let you know the story.....

OK, all sorted on the BB front. UTV tech talked me through the modem set up - I would have never got it (he changed about 4 settings, outisde my laymans knowledge).

21st century here I come....

Thanks again for help

Back